viewing PC backup HD docs and pix on OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Slimmyhendrix, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

So I am looking into getting a Macbook Air. I have an external Backup HDD PC version with basically 99% pictures on it (I believe almost all Jpeg). Will I be able to view/edit these on a Mac using OS platform?
    The last time I used a mac was to play oregon trail. Yes, 8bit and the tiny square screens with a floppy dive.
    [​IMG]

thanks all!

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

It depends on how the backup was created. If the backup was created using the Windows Backup tool, you may not be able to read the files at all. If the backup was a drag and drop, you'll be able to read the files but depending on the disk format you may not be able to edit them unless you copy them to your Mac first.

3. Slimmyhendrix thread starter macrumors regular

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Then unless the disk was formatted as ExFAT (VERY unlikely) or FAT32 (more likely but still only a small chance depending on the age and size of the drive) you will be able to read the drive on the Mac but you won't be able to write to it without 3rd-party software. The typical format for Windows is NTFS which OS X can natively READ but not write.

What this means is that you'll most likely be able copy your files from the drive to your Mac but you won't be able to edit the files in-place.

5. Slimmyhendrix thread starter macrumors regular

I have to check if my canon dslr has osX editing software disk. That would be nice as it's one reason I need a newer computer with 8gb ram for editing

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I bought a Canon EOS-M last summer, it included a Canon utilities disc. Even if the software will not run on the Mac, I believe you can use that to verify your purchase of the Canon camera to qualify you to install the latest version from the web site.