viewing pdf files

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Darkwingduck23, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Darkwingduck23 macrumors newbie

I'm getting an Ipod touch on sunday and wanted to know if it reads pdf files.
    Been looking on youtube alot and such. The PDF files i want has bookmarks in them but from what i'm seeing seems like its not possible to view the bookmarks in the pdf files. I want the bookmarks so it'll make it easier for me to view the page i want to view.

is this possible on itouch is there something I'm overlooking?

help,please.

also will the ones I'm buying be jailbreakable? plan on getting an 8 gig second gen. pretty hard to find a 1 st gen one.

edit: come on folks 16 views and nothing?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

There probably aren't replies because there are already about 492131+ threads on this.
    Example, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=608799&highlight=pdf+iphone
    There are a lot more, just search.

And I don't think you have to hack your iPod to view PDF files, there are apps made for that, such as remote access apps and apps for viewing and retrieving your online storage sites.

3. Darkwingduck23 thread starter macrumors newbie

but would i be able to see the bookmarks in the pdf files like i would using acrobat reader?

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'm not too sure.
    Well if you're doing a remote desktop access using an app like Mocha VNC, WinAdmin, Remote Dekstop, etc then yes you would.

5. Darkwingduck23 thread starter macrumors newbie

what:confused:

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I thought you would react like that.
    I'm very surprised you don't know what remote desktop access is.
    It's where you can control your computer from your iPod using a WiFi hotspot.
    Search those apps on iTunes and that should clear it up for you.

7. Darkwingduck23 thread starter macrumors newbie

wouldn't you have to have your computer on and connected to a network.

I have dsl, don't have a wireless network,etc. how would you connect to your computer like that.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes, your computer would have to be turned on.
    And you don't need wireless internet, well if you want to look at this from your home then yes.
    I don't know why you would get an iPod touch without having wireless.
    I recommend you get a wireless linksys rounter, you can find them for at least $20-30 at say Best Buy.

9. Darkwingduck23 thread starter macrumors newbie

don't be snarky with me man, its for mobile puposes If im home I'll just use my comp's internet acess, no need for an itouch.

I want one for mobile purposes. so if im not home kinda useless having a wireless....kinda

also, can I also access my computer from work? I'll have to login with password and username and I'll be able to acess my storage drive from there. has all my pdf files on it.

also why can't i just download adobe reader onto itouch?

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Because the iPod touch doesn't work like that.
    If adobe made reader for it then yes, but as of right now there is no adobe reader for the iPod touch.
    Actually, the iPod touch can read PDF files, unfortunately it doesn't have the feature of being able to use as a external disk.
    Maybe you can email yourself the PFS's.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6687612#post6687612

11. Darkwingduck23 thread starter macrumors newbie

wrong link you got there. I've read up on the email method. seems like alot of hassle. the pdf fils are 10 mb and bigger. I'll use a storage site. secondly each file contains 177 pages or more. I just want to quickly view a page by using the book marks. I don't want to search through 122 pages just to look at pg 123.
    unless your able to do that in there.

apple should've thought about this a bit more if they're gonna start claiming versatility with the itouch.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well most people have wireless in their home.
    I remote desktop access app is really hard to set up if you don't have wifi.
    I suppose you could jailbreak, but I don't know of anyway to put PDF's on it even when jailbroken.
    Oh, and at the moment you cannot jailbreak the 2G iPod touch.

13. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

The iPod Touch can read (and by 'read' we mean interpret and display) a lot of file types, including PDF, Word, Excel, iWork, PowerPoint, HTML, RTF, and others. The iPod Touch can be used as an external disk using software such as Air Sharing, but you access it as a network storage device and you have to do that via wi-fi (which you won't be able to do without a wireless router) -- you can't do it via the USB connection. Once you have that software up and running though, any 'readable' file you put on the Touch is accessible (for reading only - no editing) on-the-go.

Regarding using the Touch as a wireless device at home, don't sell it short. I have a desktop and a laptop at home, but I frequently prefer the Touch at home for web browsing and e-mail. Wi-fi also gives you enhanced functions on a lot of apps, and with wi-fi you can run wireless-based apps like Apple's Remote. The Touch is actually a fairly wi-fi intensive device -- a lot of the intrinsic apps, such as Safari, Mail, YouTube, Stocks, Maps, Weather and App Store are useless without it, and a lot of third-party apps are totally dependent on having a data connection available.

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I already mentioned using online storage apps.
    That's a lot different from it being used as an external disk.
    If you put the file on there using say, Air Sharing, it won't be on you iPod under computer or my computer (if you're using a PC) when you plug it in.

15. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

That's right, the Touch doesn't have a wired disk mode like other iPods do, but when it's on the network and you have an app like Air Sharing running, it behaves just like a network-accessible external drive. You can browse it and create folders and drag and drop files -- just like any other drive. It should show up under My Computer, in My Network Places or something (not sure, I use it on a Mac).