Viewing PDF's in Safari can't select text and scroll

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kolax, Dec 21, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Not sure if this happened because of the OS X 10.5.6 update, but I can't highlight text in a PDF in Safari and scroll (as in highlight and drag downwards like you would on any other webpage).

What caused this/how to fix it?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Works fine for me. It's not the update. It's more likely something in your Safari preferences.

Attached Files:

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I don't think you are using the default viewer for PDF's.

I should add that I mean scrolling up and down over a page. The page won't scroll up or down when I highlight text in a PDF using Safari.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only add-ons I've added to Safari are SafariBlock, Safari AdBlock and Safari Stand, none of which affect pdf viewing. Yes, I can scroll up and down, even with text highlighted.

5. wfarr macrumors newbie

You're using Adobe's PDF plugin, not Preview's.

6. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I can't scroll and select text at the same time too.. But I feel like I have better control by clicking where I want to start then scroll to the end of what I want and the hold Shift and click again. I don't have a run away scroll that always goes way past where I want to end anyway.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I don't mean scroll (as in two finger scrolling) while selecting text.

Like, when you drag to select text but keep dragging down and it scrolls down itself.

I can't do that when viewing PDFs.

8. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

9. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Doesn't work in PDF's.

I can select and drag text and it scrolls on anything else apart from PDF's in Safari.

10. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Works for me. Even worked on PC's before the first Mouse was built to scroll with.

11. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Okay, maybe you are failing to understand that I have a problem with my setup and that is the reason I'm asking for help :rolleyes:

12. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I understand what you are trying to do, I just tried it on 3 different computers each with Safari, Firefox and Preview, none will scroll past the bottom of the window with the mouse held down. If you click where you want to start ( do not try to highlight, let go of the button ) then scroll to where you want the end to be, then Shift Click on the end and everything between the first click and the Shift Click will Highlight and you can select or do what ever you want with the selected text.

13. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Works for everything apart from a PDF. Good tip though.

14. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

If it doesn't work on a PDF for you, the you do have a problem,, But I don't think you will ever find a way to scroll past the bottom of a window as you hold the mouse down in a PDF. Good luck getting it fixed.

15. toujames macrumors member

toujames

I know this was submitted 3 years ago, but all u do is when in viewing the pdf, right click and just click single page continuous.