Viewing PDF's in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by comovartia, Aug 16, 2011.

1. comovartia macrumors newbie

I can not get pdf's to open in safari. I have the latest version of adobe reader installed yet still can not open them. Any help would be appreciated.

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Adobe reader is not needed on macs. It has PDF viewing capability by default. You need the latest version of Safari.

3. comovartia thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the latest version of Safari and just down loaded adobe since I could not view them natively. I just get a message that a plug in is missing.

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

What version of Mac OS are you running?

5. comovartia thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ShinyDren macrumors member

ShinyDren

Does this happen with any pdf anywhere, or just at a particular site?

Just asking because some websites employ lame* plugin checking. If they do not find the plugin they do not even try to send the pdf to your browser.
    (*I say lame because some code used for this does not always work with all browsers, especially with built-in pdf viewers.)

If you have not already done so, try checking a pdf at another site.
    You can also check Safari's pdf abilities by using a pdf file you have on your computer, either drag it onto an open Safari window or use File > Open from within Safari.

7. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

I am having this same problem. I am trying to access schoolwork posted on Blackboard for my college assignments. It is only a problem on Blackboard. When I try to open a PDF in Safari as the above poster mentioned it works fine. I believe it is trying to open it in a PDF viewer on the site. I can not figure out any way to download these files without opening them first. Is there any way to get this to work?

Blackboard is the only way to access these assignments. I could probably download them on a windows computer at school and upload them to dropbox, but this is quite a hassle. Any tips are appreciated.

8. Ryan700 macrumors member

Ryan700

Re:Viewing PDF's in Safari

My Pdf's open in Preview.

9. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

I tried in Google Chrome this morning and it works, so I guess I will just use Chrome to access these PDFs to download them on my hard drive. Then they open fine in Preview.