Viewing PDFs on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by V23, Mar 7, 2011.

1. V23 macrumors newbie

Long story short I have a PDF file which is quite large (7.17 MB). When I view it on my iPod Touch 4 it lags quite badly and often takes 5-10 seconds to move or zoom when I swipe. So my question is if I buy an iPad 1 will it be much better or will it still lag (same ram, is the iPad processor faster than the touch?) and also how much of a difference would an iPad 2 be over an iPad 1?

Also I'm currently using the free USB Disk app to view the file, is there a better app that would be much faster to load it?

Thanks.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Given that none of us own an iPad 2 yet, its hard to say if it will be faster than your iPod touch or the still current first iPad.

3. TheRekz macrumors regular

I was also interested in knowing what pdf reader do people use in their iPad?
    I am considering to buy an iPad if it gives a new experience in reading pdf's as that will be my main use.. to read

4. travishill macrumors regular

Between the latest iBooks and Good Reader I've been pretty happy with PDFs on the iPad 1.

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Good Reader is good on my iPad. I like the folder structure it allows for too.

6. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Goodreader. A must have app. I have a entire 657 page fully illustrated catalog that views very well once you have the settings right. iBooks won't even open it.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

PDF Expert, but I need to highlight and annotate. It's lightning fast on ipad1.

8. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

9. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

I have MCAT study books in ebook format that are over 60mb a piece, about 300 pages long and searchable content and use PDF Reader Pro and it doesnt lag at all. Its equivalent to trying to get engadget to load and having the black check boards come up for a split second before the content loads. but for the most part, zooming and up and down scrolling has no lag. Swiping from page to page, yes.

Id like to see how the ipad 2 handles it with its processor and I'm guessing it'll have 512 or 768mb of ram. It would suck to have the same 256.