iPad Viewing photos from DSLR to Ipad?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dvboy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. dvboy macrumors regular

Hi
    I have a canon 7d DSLR and was looking forward to viewing photos taken with it on my new Iad 3.I don't want to download them,I just want to view them on the ipad screen.Unfortunately I get the "not enough power" notification when using the USB camera kit with card reader(compact flash card),so that wont work.I was hoping I could use Ifile and hook the camera up with the usb cable and view the pictures that way,but using Ifile I cant find my camera or pictures within it?Is this possible?The Ipad does recognize my camera and shows the thumbnails,but will not expand them without downloading.Any other way of viewing full screen sized pics on the ipad without downloading first?I am at a loss as to why this process has to be so difficult:mad:Any help would be much appreciated!!!!
    Dave

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

To be honest I don't understand what you problem is, so I made a test and this are the results (using my humble t3i).

1. If I connect the camera via the CCK, I automatically get all pictures shown, and I have to "import" them in order to see them fullscreen. So I don't know at what point you get the "not enough power". Maybe your battery was too low?
    And in this scenario I can't see the files on iFile. I tried to do some terminal work but wasn't too incisive and anyway, I think it's not possible.
    2. If I connect the SD card via the CCK, I get all pictures shown and I have to import. BUT, if I go to iFile, I can easily see the contents of the card and then browse the pictures (but this is slow as hell on full res pics on the t3i, let alone RAW!!!).

The not enough power message anyway, is somewhat common depending on the device, so you can try using an AC-powered USB hub in the middle (of course, this is by no means a "portable" solution, but for instance, it has worked fine for me in order to connect a midi keyboard and doing some other yummy stuff like having an USB keyboard and a couple other things connected via the same CCK).

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What you tested isn't the problem OP is having.

OP is using CCK WITH a card reader because 7D uses compact flash.

OP: You got several options.

1) Connect your camera to CCK rather than using card reader.
    2) Use a card reader that doesn't draw as much power.
    3) Use a card reader that can get its power from wall socket.

4. winterny macrumors 6502

Eye-fi pro x2 + shuttersnitch

I use this setup with my 5d mark 3 and iPad 3, and it's simply stunning how well it works.

If your camera is compact flash only, there are adapters to convert sd to cf, but google for compatibility with your camera first.

5. xraytech, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

From my understanding, I don't think you can do that with the D7.

The only option you got is Eye-Fi SD Card with an SD Card to Compact Flash adapter.

http://www.eye.fi/

Only problem with these SD Cards is that they draw a lot of power and I'd venture to guess that they will deplete your 7D's battery twice as fast.

6. dvboy thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to simply view my photos without downloading them from either my compact flash card or from the usb port in my camera.Looks like this asking for too much from Apple.My reasoning is that if I shoot 3-4 hundred photos on the road and want to view them on a bigger screen,the ipad wont like downloading that many 18 megapixel photos,and I probably wouldn't like the waiting all that time either.

7. winterny macrumors 6502

Seriously -- you want eye-fi. You'll be able to take a picture and have it *instantly* show up on your iPad.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

18 megapixel photos aren't that big. I am not sure if you will need to download them to ipad in order to enlarge it but i am sure you can still see the photos before downloading them. Why don't you try it yourself with a USB cable?

9. dvboy, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

dvboy thread starter macrumors regular

Yea that sounds good,but they don't make a CF card version and from the research I have found,using a SD-CF adapter doesn't work well either,even the manufacturer admitted as much http://support.eye.fi/cards/problem/compact-flash-card-adapters/ Nothing is easy here,I think this might be my only solution.....
    http://store.micgadget.com/ipad3-card-readers/315-cf-sd-high-speed-card-reader-for-ipad-3.html
    Its cheep,can use Ifile to view pics like I wanted,and M.I.C claims it WILL work with the Ipad 3 with the latest IOS.