Viewing Ripped DVDs on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glenikins, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Glenikins macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm a new Mac user (delighted with my new MacBook Pro). I have in the past ripped my DVD collection onto my PC using the Windows DVDFab software. Yesterday I decided to watch a movie on my Mac but was unable to find an application on the laptop that recognised the files (a VIDEO_TS folder with a number of .VOB files).

I don't want to have to rip my collection again so is there a straightforward way of viewing these movies on my Mac? Ideally with the standard software that came with the machine, failing that with a free app or add-on, or finally a commercial app?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Glen

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would go ahead and download VLC, you will never have to download another video player again!

5. Glenikins thread starter macrumors newbie

Spot on, thanks. Works a treat.

6. soundguy15 macrumors member

soundguy15

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you put the video_ts folder into another folder and add the extension ".dvdmedia" it will open up in DVD Player automatically when double clicked.

7. Glenikins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, just tried harder with DVD Player and yep, that works fine too. Now I have a choice as to which which software I use ;)

----------

Great, that'll make it even easier. Thanks. I guess I've got a lot to learn about this new OS.

8. soundguy15 macrumors member

soundguy15

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you have a large DVD collection you should check out Plex. It's a very nice "media center-esqe" app for Mac. Although I don't think it plays well with video_ts. That's why I made the switch to .mkv using MakeMKV (super easy and fast).