Viewing subtitles on VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KooBrewoP, Dec 24, 2007.

1. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

As you can see from the screenshot i took, VLC player splashes the subtitles all over the page so i cant read them. They are not integrated in to the movie file but have to be enabled via the subtitles check option under video. The only control that VLC player gives me over the subtitles, and specifically making them smaller, doesn't work. Is this a problem with the subtitles supplied or the player?

[​IMG]

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

That is a VLC thing.

Download Perian (which you really should have already) and then play the vid files in Quicktime. The subtitles are nicer there. And if you have Quicktime Pro, you can resave the files as .mov and the subtitles will be auto-magically slipped into the movie file (can be disabled when viewing of course)

3. KooBrewoP thread starter macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

thanks that really worked and i had never heard of Perian

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Also get Flip4Mac. That will let you play back windows media files in QuickTime (and since you can do it in quicktime, you can also do it in web browsers) between it and perian, you are set.

5. Mamagotchi macrumors newbie

Watching subtitles on Quicktime

Perian works perfectly with Quicktime; it's a must have. Just one thing: make sure both name files are the same, that is: if the avi file is named "example.avi" then the srt file must be named the same "example.srt", otherwise it won't recognize it.