Viewing Video problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hampshireman, Dec 5, 2011.

1. hampshireman macrumors regular

I have a G4 Powermac running 10.4.11 and have Quicktime, VLC, Movist, Elmedia, Macromedia and Real Player, but many .wmv3 files (not .wmv1, they're OK) won't play, they just freeze. Same with many FLVs and quite often .mp4 files, even some .avi files too. I am beginning to think it's not my computer, which is not in the first flush of youth, but maybe my broadband source Plusnet. Could this be the case? If not any ideas please?

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Why don't you run AHT (Apple hardware test that usually come with Macs)?That way you could know if the hardware is ok.
    If you don't have the original cds, see my Powerpc F.A.Q. it has download links for Apple Hardware Test isos.
    It seems me that you could have some bad ram there (I discovered that on mine this weekend, and it only gave kernel panics when certain task were done).

3. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your quick response. I haven't got the CDs so will check out your thread.

4. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, non techie here, can you please explain the isos ref in your message?

5. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

You download this one
    it here:
    http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

You insert a blank cd on your burner, go to disk utility , click on the icon "burn" and then you choose the image you downloaded.
    Sorry the image is not an iso but a dmg.

6. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Don't have blank CDs, will try and get some. Any other way, not just a straight download?

7. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

As far as I know not.You could try Rember app to test memory (it is on my FAQ too) http://kelleycomputing.net/rember/

8. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Have any of these files worked flawlessly at one time or another?
    Are any of the files particularly high resolution/HD?

It would be extremely helpful if you could use the application Media Info to provide a detailed specification for some of the videos you're having problems with, also post the specs of your PowerMac as stated in "About This Mac".

Are the files stored on your hard drive or are you streaming them? Your connection would only be relevant if you are streaming them.

I really don't see how this could be a hardware issue. What component could fail that would only cause issues with video playback? It's all software accelerated anyway.

10. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I don't know, maybe Ram.Running AHT takes about 10min...it doesn't hurt to know if your hardware is ok I guess.

11. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks AdrianK.
    Some of them have worked OK in the past but rarely .wmv3.

The .flvs seemed ok for a while on SLV player then I gave up on that because of poor playing and got Elmedia which seemed Ok - now a lot freeze.
    Movist plays them at absolute slow motion.
    Even some Mpegs freeze.

Some are high res yes.

Yes I am downloading them from sites, viewing then deleting in most cases. I don't hold a huge library if any to be honest.

Media Info ? Is that something I must download? and where would the detailed specs be please?

12. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - forgot these two images

Attached Files:

13. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Judging by the fact that you're running at 466MHz, I'd say that your problems are caused by a lack of processing 'horsepower'. Video decoding is a demanding task, specifically for high resolution content, which is processed solely on the CPU.

If you can, try to get DivX/Xvid encoded videos which are normally contained in .avi, they will be easier to decode than h264 (normally in mkv).

14. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks AdrianK. I had a feeling it could well be that. I can't afford an upgrade to a new or newer machine as I do want another Mac, rather than a cheaper PC. The two people I know who work with Macs in business are supposed to be looking out for me for firms that are upgrading and throwing out their older stuff at a decent deal.

15. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

466MHz is your problem. You would only be able to play the lowest quality DivX etc. Generally I would never even expect decent video playback on anything less than a G4 700MHz.

This version of Mplayer will help you if you set the prefs as shown.

You could always grab a G4 1GHz+ upgrade on ebay for under $100 and really improve things. Not only will it be a much faster speed but also a newer more capable version of the G4 chip.