Viewing Youtube

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 06Honda, Nov 18, 2011.

1. 06Honda, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

06Honda macrumors regular

I use a MacPro 13" Laptop and would like to view youtube videos. I noticed a download called MacTubes, have any forum members used this app.

2. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

Does downloading Flash increase issues related to viruses/trojans etc like on a windows pc with flash?

3. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

Firstly, if you want to ask an additional question [in this case if mactubes is any good] it's useful and more polite if you do it as a reply, rather than going back and editing your initial post. Because they way you did it makes it look like I gave you an irrelevant answer.

I haven't used mactubes, so sorry I can't help you with that.

As far as viruses and trojans go, you should be fine. I think the only mac viruses are proof of concept ones, and I've never heard of any youtube viruses or trojans for mac. But if your really worried download clamxav and use it to scan the files.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15850/clamxav

4. simsaladimbamba

There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

To learn more about Mac OS X:

5. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

It's still a good idea to regularly use an anti-virus program, in order to prevent passing PC viruses you may have accidentally downloaded, from your mac to your PC, or a colleague/friends PC.

6. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

Thankyou for the links I will check them out.

7. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I disagree. If you're vigilant about knowing what app you're inputting your password in then you have nothing to worry about on the Mac or on any modern Windows machine. Most viruses out there today are trojans because of better security on all modern OSs.

Also, there is no way that I'm running A/V software that will slow my system down just because there is a possibility that a colleague or friend won't think before they give apps permission to run things as root. If they're that naïve then they can bog their own system down with A/V software.

9. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

I've been using ClamXav for about 3 or 4 years on a number of macs and I've never once noticed it slow down my machine.

And I really can't understand your attitude in regards to accidentally passing on a virus to someone else. Can't you see that if you pass a document with a virus to someone else in your company, that could potentially create problems for YOU. I know quite a few people who use macs at work that are required to have anti-virus software on their macs. Yes, most companies have their own anti-virus set up, but if you're sending a lot of documents within and between companies, a few crop up now and again. Having that extra level of protection on individual employees computers is a good idea. Aside from that, don't you think it's a bit of a selfish attitude. Some people, particularly older people, don't know a lot about viruses etc. Is it that much of a hassle to have a free anti-virus running to prevent passing a virus on. If you choose not to that's fine, but I don't agree with telling other people not to bother.

10. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

11. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular