Views on sleeping in line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VTAb182, Jun 21, 2010.

1. VTAb182 macrumors regular

What are your thoughts/views/opinions on sleeping in line while waiting to get the iphone 4?

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

IMO, I think it's stupid to wait/camp over night for a phone.

But I'm not telling people that they shouldn't, it is their own personal time.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I wouldn't camp out for a phone. It shows me how pathetic this society has become... Hardcore Fans with iphone 4? See what happens when iphone 5 comes out...

4. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

if you were alseep id robb you :)

haha jk but no, stupid idea..

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If I were you, I would set up a huge, eight-person tent right in front of the store, hook up a generator and a gas grill and just live there until Thursday.

6. norwegian wood macrumors regular

and don't drink anything offered to you by anyone else in line, they might slip you a mickey so you pass out and sleep through the entire event

7. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Bring a friend so you can take turns sleeping.

8. norwegian wood macrumors regular

or to spoon with

9. bgribin macrumors regular

I camped out for the 3GS last year with a friend and that's basically what we did... except I didn't really sleep and he spent time at the bar next to the apple store for much of the night. :p:apple:

10. nparmelee macrumors 6502

I once camped out for the Rose Parade, don't expect to sleep and expect to be uncomfortable all night long.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

funny.
    just think if you set your alarm for 230am on the 15th, youcould have been the first to preorder and in 10 minutes you could have been back in your comfy bed

12. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

don't forget the beer:p

13. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I see a huge missed opportunity for a "LOST" type app that forces you to input a code every 108 minutes until the launch. This will keep you awake enough to keep your spot in line, but allow enough napping to no be a zombie.

14. norwegian wood macrumors regular

you should of just ordered it online so you could of stayed home on the 24 and fondled yourself with anticipation instead of getting busted for doing it in public outside the apple store

15. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

4 8 15 16 23 42...execute

I've been doing it for 3 years now..............brotha

16. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I'll admit I camped overnight for the 3g a couple summers ago. It was actually fun I met a bunch of nice people. Someone even brought some music. It was like hanging out with some friends.

If camping out is not for you that's cool. However you don't have to criticize someone else for doing it. In the end I think camping out for a product is a fun way to socialize with those that have the same interest as you.

17. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing years ago to get the Wii for our sons from "Santa." It was freezing outside; but for 7 of the 8 hours we were there, things were great and the people were awesome.

That being said, I vowed that it would "camp out" for any consumer product. :D

18. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I know; and believe me, I really do feel bad for those who got shafted. But for every 1 person who legitimately tried to get a pre-order, I'm sure there will be 5 waiting in line just because the iPhone 4 is the new "in" thing.

19. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I wouldnt worry about it if you are with other friends. I'm only doing it for one night after bar hopping on the 23rd. I may doze off but I'm not planning on getting much sleep.

If I had a son or daughter I would feel very uneasy about them doing it.

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't know why people have such a hard time grasping that standing in line is about the experience. There is no experience in having the product show up at your front door with no effort on your part. There is, however, something to be gained from hanging out in line with a group of people who are as passionate about something as you are. If I am interested in that who are you to sit back and tell me I should have pre-ordered? You don't see those who are planning to wait in line hassling those who pre-ordered do you? No, you don't...

Personally, I think all these people who keep saying waiting in line for a phone is pathetic are trying to compensate for something. I think a lot of them are just jealous that we have found something that we are so passionate about that we are willing to spend time to enjoy it as we see fit. Just because I am passionate about a piece of technology that happens to be a phone doesn't make my passion any less fulfilling for me, and running through threads posting that these people are silly and pathetic is, in and of itself, pathetic.

I, for one, will be camping out at the Manhattan Village Apple Store here in SoCal, drifting in and out of sleep without fear of Teh Scary Gays, and enjoying meeting the people who share my passion and learning about them.

21. Corey213 macrumors member

this too

22. lidomkj macrumors regular

Pay full price. LOL.

23. gsimonds macrumors newbie

The only thing I've ever waited for in a line like that was the XBox360. I waited 12 hours at Wal-Mart. It was a lot of fun, made friends, and a few hours before launch they gave us tickets so that we didn't have to sit there. We all went out to eat, had some drinks, and leisurely came back as it approached midnight.

All in all it was a lot of fun, but I am certainly glad I pre-ordered the iPhone and don't have to worry

24. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I think its great. 364 other nights out the year to get a good night's sleep. 1 night waiting for Apple.

While my arrival time has tossed itself back and forth around my dome for a few days now, I have decided that I will be arriving at AT&T around midnight or 1 a.m. This to ensure the first spot. I have a "pre-order" at Best Buy, which is right across the street, but think arriving at this hour will secure my 1st in line aspirations.

Blonde Buddhist

PS: I hope i get snorkled

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

If you snooze, you can lose. Imagine waking up and the line is already gone and people are walking out the store with their new phones.