ViewSonic VP2365wb or NEC EA231WMI

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Omek, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Omek, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Omek macrumors regular

Hi! I was just wondering which of these IPS displays is best: ViewSonic VP2365wb or NEC EA231WMI? Does anyone own these models and can you attest to the quality of either?

I still have an old 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo mini. My current display is a really old 22" ADC Apple Cinema display, so I'm probably a fairly easy-to-please customer. This display is just way too warm for me. I'm a print and Web designer, so I really need a better display. I've searched online and everyone seems to think the IPS displays are way better than TN monitors.

Thank you!

2. toxic macrumors 68000

have you calibrated your screen? are you using the 23" ADC or the Aluminum version?

according to TFTCentral, the only difference is that the Viewsonic doesn't have an overdrive mode to boost response time, so if you play any fast-paced games, the NEC is the better option.

3. Omek thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it's been a long time since it's been calibrated. I have gone through and calibrated it as best as I could using Apple's Display preferences though. Sorry, it's the 22", not the 23". I'm definitely going to be ordering a spyder as well. ;-) I don't think my Cinema Display can compare much to the quality of an IPS monitor.

I was leaning towards the NEC. I've been reading through reviews from hardforums and newegg, and people seem to prefer the NEC. Although, others say the ViewSonic is unfairly pushed aside, mainly because it isn't as well-known.

4. Omek thread starter macrumors regular

Don't get the NEC EA231WMi

Don't get me wrong. The monitor was built really well. It was incredibly sturdy, but the blue/yellow to red gradient that extends from left to right across the screen is absolutely intolerable. I thought maybe I would just get used to it, and it wouldn't be such a big deal, but it was awful. If you only watch movies and TV, then it's OK, but if you do a lot of photo editing or other graphic design work, the gradient tinge just becomes so overbearing.

The other reason not to purchase this monitor is that you can't return it and get a refund. I first consulted Newegg, and the best they could do was give me store credit. And NEC said its policy is not to refund either. Both only provide replace or repair policies. To me, that's a little shady of NEC to not offer refunds on a monitor they know has this gradient issue.

I searched around, and apparently this problem affects a lot of the low-end IPS monitors. Personally, I don't really care if they're low-end. That doesn't excuse this color gradient issue.

Here's hoping for some improved technology next year.

5. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

Sorry I missed this thread when it first got posted. I have the Viewsonic VP2365wb for about 6 months and really like it. I have had Viewsonic monitors over the years, and this one replaced a pair of 20 inch CRT's that I recently got rid of in a yard sale for 20 bux each (ouch!). I would love to get another one, but I do not think there is any way I can get my Whitebook to drive 2 external 23 inch monitors.

I cannot directly say about the NEC as I have not used it, but I remember reading about it when I got the Viewsonic and went with the Viewsonic, I think because of the ratings on Amazon and possibly on DPReview.com.

Hope this helps...

Chef Jay