ViewWillAppear Won't Load Image.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by loon3y, Apr 10, 2012.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

i have a barcode scanning app, and i have an image view showing the picture of the recently scanned item, through a web service. it worked in the beginning, but after i changed something a while back it stopped showing up. now I'm trying to fix this problem. in only appears when i go out of the view controller (via tab bar) and go back in, here is my viewWillAppear code:

Code:
    - (void)viewWillAppear:(BOOL)animated
    {
        [super viewWillAppear:animated];

// use the product code for image, even if UPC is scanned
        NSString *sURL = [[NSString alloc] initWithString:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"http://******.*****.com:90/prodimage/%@.jpg", displayText.text]];
        NSData *mydata = [[NSData alloc] initWithContentsOfURL:[NSURL URLWithString:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@",sURL]]];
        UIImage *image = [[UIImage alloc] initWithData:mydata];
        [invenImage setImage:image];
    }

2. cMacSW, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012

cMacSW macrumors regular

Try telling the image view needsDisplay
    Code:
    [yourImageView setNeedsDisplay:YES];

3. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

thanks but it didnt work, i running Xcode 4.3.1, so i don know if its the new version but there isn't a boolean after the code in my Xcode.

is there a method or function where i can refresh/reload the image that i can add at the end of viewWillAppear?

4. cMacSW macrumors regular

That's what setNeedsDisplay should do.

5. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

damn it, it worked before no problem, but after a co worker changed some coding in another view controller (using global variables) it stopped working.

6. cMacSW macrumors regular

Did you confirm that this is being called the first time the view is displayed by setting a breakpoint?

----------

Also, not related to your problem, but this line:

Code:
    NSString *sURL = [[NSString alloc] initWithString:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"http://******.*****.com:90/prodimage/%@.jpg", displayText.text]];
    could be changed to this:

Code:
    NSString *sURL = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"http://******.*****.com:90/prodimage/%@.jpg", displayText.text];

7. larswik macrumors 68000

cMacSW - I was reading this thread and was also wondering in the begining why he did not just use 'stringWithFormat'.

loon3y - When I develop problems like this I NSLog after every line of code to check to make sure my results are what I expected them to be.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'd suggest it's easier to just set a breakpoint and step through / into every line of code.

9. cMacSW macrumors regular

The docs says there are situations where viewWillAppear will not be called, that's why setting a break point may help here.

10. loon3y, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

Resolved:

basically i shouldn't of called the image in my barcode function or viewWillAppear or viewDidAppear.

i had to put it in my XML parse section of the code, because when I'm calling the image I'm using a store specified product code rather than calling it by the UPC when i scan. ( i know it should be either or but everything is mickey mouse and going to cleanup/optimize it later)

Code:
    - (void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser didEndElement:(NSString *)elementName 
      namespaceURI:(NSString *)namespaceURI qualifiedName:(NSString *)qName 
    {

if ([elementName isEqualToString:@"itemno"])
        {
            displayText.text = capturedCharacters;

// display the image on 1st viewcontroller
            NSString *sURL = [[NSString alloc] initWithString:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"http://*****.******.com:90/prodimage/%@.jpg", capturedCharacters]];
            NSData *mydata = [[NSData alloc] initWithContentsOfURL:[NSURL URLWithString:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@",sURL]]];
            UIImage *image = [[UIImage alloc] initWithData:mydata];
            [invenImage setImage:image];
            [invenImage setNeedsDisplay];
        }

[capturedCharacters release];
        capturedCharacters = nil;

if ([elementName isEqualToString:@"str_partinfo"]) {
            // We are no longer in an item element
            inItemElement = NO;
        }
    }

hope this helps out anyone that gets confused using lineapro