Viking Battle For Asgard

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Apr 2, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I decided to give this a try, simply because I wanted somthing mindless to button mash, and I'm pleasantly surprised with it.
    (still waiting for Dark Sector PS3 and Condemned 2 360 to arrive)

Very nice graphics, and smooth frame rate so far (reviews seemed to say it dipped but I haven't had one yet).

It does feel very old school, but I am enjoying it.

Anyone else picked this up.

(oh I got 360 version by the way)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I haven't tried it, but it reviewed fairly poorly. I think the average score was about 6-7. Is there anything you don't like about the game?

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well the hint system (i.e. what do I need to do next? ) is a bit unhelpful. Sometimes you run from one end of the world to the next or use the leap points, often stuck wondering what am I supposed to do.

But for the most part the game is fun and certainly worth a try / rent as it's certainly better than the meh! reviews.

(actually if you read the user reviews on 1up and ign - they are far more indicative. Same kind of story with Chromehounds which recieved equally meh! reviews)

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Been thinking about this game since I've been a sucker for Asgardian mythos since my days reading Marvel's Thor comic.
    MRU, when you say button masher do you mean like a Ninety Nine Nights/Dynasty Warriors kind of masher? That stuff gets a bit tedious.

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

yes and no to the 99nights and dynasty comparison. There aren't a huge array of moves but you can buy more ingame, and there is more to the game than simply hacking, hacking and hacking. But the combat system basically uses 2 buttons (with l/r triggers using magic system).

There is a fair deal of repetition, but about as much as you'd expect given the genre. However the adventuring gives it a liitle bit more essence than normal.

However as I say the hint / help system is flawed and often leaves yju running or portalling around the world loads as to what to do next.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This game reminds me of the beautifully done "Mark of Kri" for the PS2....all it needs now is the right analog stick controlling your hit direction and its all set. I don't mind a good button masher every now and again so I might give it a go.

Bless

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah there are similarities with Mark of Kri come to think of it.

(Dark Sector and Condemned 2 arrived.... one is what I expected the other dissapoints and is very meh!... can you guess which one possums? )

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ahh excellent .. now Creative Assembly can go back to do what they do best and get Empire: Total War out as soon as possible

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok first island complete... the game's repetitive nature is starting to bite hard.

I have also en-counted the slow down reviews spoke of in the final battle of the first part.

Hint system / Map sucks... easier to read information and where to go instructions really need to be provided. Most of the first island was spent running up and down trying to work out where the hell I was supposed to go next.

Back tracking is fine once or twice... when you approach your 10th or 20th back track frustration sets in.

Not sure how much of the second island I will bother completing before I move onto somthing else.

Not a bad game, just nothing to really hook you to it.