Vimeo HD (720p) on a single 933 mhz G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nova77, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Nova77, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

Nova77 Guest

I tried to play a Vimeo HD video with Coreplayer on a G4 quicksilver 933 mhz 1.5 GB ram. At first it could not handle it, with a benchmark of 80-85% of the original video playback speed. But then I played with the prefs and was able to krank that score up to 115-120%. That means the video now passes the test.

The trick is to go in the prefs --> advanced, and turn off the AVC deblocking filter. Of course, the video quality will drop a little (or a lot, depending on the source), but hey, who thought it could be possible to play HD just fine on a computer with a single CPU and less than 1 GHZ?

P.S.: Youtube HD 720p gets better benchmarks than Vimeo.

Edit: Do I have to mention the part where I got the video download link using video downloadhelper in Tenfourfox?...

2. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Nice

I had played around with the Coreplayer settings before but not seen any real improvement, but that tip works great! I tried a lady gaga (no, don't care for lady gaga, but it was a 720p file I had that previously choked even the mighty coreplayer) file that refused to play, but turning off the AVC filter as you suggested worked great. Now I can toss it!

Also, I was able to calmly stream a 720p vimeo file using download helper, copied the url and pasted it into Coreplayer, worked great. CPU use at 80%, not bad. PowerPC's not dead!

However, I gotta say that I hate that the Raspberry Pi, a 25 dollar linux board to be released soon can stream 1080p and a dual G5 chokes on it. WTF?

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with CorePlayer.
    Is it free or is it a paid program?

Either way, where can i find it?

Thanks!!

4. Nova77 thread starter Guest

Here ;) http://www.mobihand.com/130/homesoftware.asp
    "CorePlayer Mobile for OS X"
    Yeah I know the "Mobile" sounds confusing... but thats the right one.
    It costs $20, but is worth every penny if you are a G4 user.