Vintage iBook G4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by naamatis, Dec 6, 2011.

1. naamatis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently received an old iBook to use while my other system is out of commission and the original owner did not have a restore disc for it. The system automatically logs into an account with administrator rights, but I am unable to update any software for the system without a password. The original owner has always just used the computer without updating anything and does not remember the password that was used when the system was setup.

I do not wish to erase any data on the system or lose any files, but I would like to be able to update software that exists on the system. After speaking with Apple Support as well as a local Mac store, I have found that there are few options left for me. As a restore disc cannot be purchased from Apple or the Mac stores in my surrounding areas, I did some searching online and found a few suggestions for attempting to clear/reset the password on the system using the unix code in the system by starting it in single-user mode.

I am a reasonably intelligent person, but I must admit that I am not very knowledgeable with the Mac OS and am uncertain whether I would be following instructions correctly or completely. If anyone out there can help, I would be most appreciative.

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

http://osxdaily.com/2011/04/25/change-admin-password-mac/

Google is your friend...

I did this recently on a work Mac, this looks like it.

Unfortunately its not complicated