Vintage Mac collectibles/holds value

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by round2ohio, May 22, 2012.

1. round2ohio macrumors newbie

Hello; I am new to this forum and also new to the older apple/mac products. I recently obtained a position at work to be able to sell vintage products on eBay. I have been doing a lot of research to see what still holds value to the consumer and also to any persons that are looking for internal pieces to make resale. Here are some models that I receive and then decide whether it's worth value or to be e-cycled. Comments are welcomed to help me get a better idea when sorting through the skids of apple desktops what internal pieces or systems that are and are not worth value. Thanks for the help!

** Unfortunately we shred the SCSI hard drives due to not having licensed contracts for having a SCSI wiping system. I understand how much value the HDD's withhold with the unfortunate loss.

:::: II :::::
    Macintosh II
    Macintosh IIx
    Macintosh IIfx

:::: IIcx ::::
    Macintosh IIcx
    Macintosh IIci
    Mac Quadra 700

:::: IIsi ::::
    Macintosh IIsi

:::: LC ::::
    Macintosh LC
    Macintosh LC II
    Macintosh LC III
    Macintosh LC III+
    Macintosh LC 475
    Mac Quadra 605

:::: Power Mac 7500 ::::
    Power Mac 7200
    Power Mac 7300
    Power Mac 7500
    Power Mac 7600
    Power Mac G3 DT

Include anything in the II series that I may have missed. I appreciate all help!

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Without a working SCSI drive I have to think that most of those are basically worthless. It's a shame, but that's the market.

3. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

The Macintosh II series machines are quite rare nowadays and I reckon would have some value for collectors even without hard drives - especially if they have lots of RAM or other non-stock parts installed, or for the ones like the IIfx that were the top of the range when new.

Even for ones you find don't have much value I expect there'd be plenty who would take them off your hands for the cost of shipping or who could collect - it would be a shame to waste such vintage hardware :(

4. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I think all of the classic Macintosh all-in-ones would hold some value since there are a lot of people who like to make Macquariums or use it as a case to hold their PC's. I'm pretty sure that you couldn't get much for any of the beige Power Macs. I'm not completely sure what the Quadras or LC's are like so I can't really give an estimate for them.

5. round2ohio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody for your reply's! Greatly appreciated! If anyone is looking for Apple/Mac desktop systems or parts please contact me! I also was able to get a hold of some software to wipe the SCSI drives!

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Where are you located? I see you have 'ohio' in your username, but perhaps that's unrelated. ;)

7. round2ohio thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The IIfx is the only one that would have any real "value", but then it would *HAVE* to have RAM. RAM for the IIfx is unique to that one model, and is notoriously difficult to find.

Even then, you're looking at $100 tops, for one in top condition, with lots of RAM and a good video card.

And while SCSI hard drives are still possible to find, the original Apple drives make life a *LOT* easier (no third-party formatting tools needed,) so not having a drive does take quite a price hit.