vintage Macbookpro keyboard repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmacmacr, Jul 6, 2016.

1. macmacmacr macrumors member

I received a quote on July-2016 from Authorized Apple store
    MY BLUE UMBRELLA
    Located in Canada, Ontario
    160 CIDERMILL AVE UNIT 1
    CONCORD, ON L4K 4K5
    from a replacement of a keyboard for a Macbookpro and the price they quoted for install and purchase of a new keyboard was $850. This is a ridiculous price since a new Macbookpro costs $1300.

I have received prices from $125 to $160 from other non authorized Apple repair

2. tubeexperience, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I paid $25 USD to replace keyboard on my MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011).

When I was performing the repair for someone else, I charged ~$145 (depending on the model)

$125 is a very reasonable price.

3. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I paid 25$ bucks in Romania for a new-ish keyboard for my 15" Retina.
    The guy brought a 2015 second hand 15" Retina (water damage) from the back and popped the keys out and installed them on my machine. They are flawless.

Mind you, I replaced only the keys, not the whole keyboard (ie backlight system, mechanism, etc)

4. T5BRICK, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Does your Mac have liquid damage? I can't think of many other reasons why Apple would charge $850 to repair an older Mac that just needed a keyboard.

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I would never used keyboards from a liquid damaged laptops as replacement parts.

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

like i said earlier, they are just the plastic key caps, not the whole keyboard

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

For an out of warranty repair Apple is always more expensive than a third party. That said if the keyboard stopped working from liquid damage you likely have to replace more than just the keyboard and are probably better off just buying a new machine.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Sorry, I didn't read throughly enough.

False.

I have done keyboard replacements on liquid spilled MacBook Pro(s) and MacBook Air(s).

They work fine after keyboard replacements.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sometimes, but your gambling that another component wasn't damaged. You might luck out, but you might also end up having it crash when something else fails due to the water damage. If the computer is used for anything important it isn't a gamble worth taking.

10. jerryk macrumors 68020

Yes. After watching some of the Youtube videos I am amazed at how damaging even water is to computer. Louis Rossman (sp?) has one video where he pulls the keyboard cleans it up and then has to start desoldering chips to find the one that had water damage.

And it makes me mad that Apple does not anticipate water damage. Lenovo thinkpads have a film underneath the keyboard to guide liquids out of the bottom of the laptop without getting over too many components. They assume that eventually something will spill on the keyboard and your computer should survive that with the minimum amount of damage so you can make that presentation the next day. Real world vs. looking cool.

11. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

You can make the same argument about anything.

"Oh, this car has a prior accident so it may failed."