Vintage Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amoda, May 18, 2007.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey,

A friend of mine has decided to start buying vintage macs. He said knows someone who has the following macs:

Mac SE/30, Class II, Mac Plus, Mac 512k, Mac LC, Mac LC470, Mac 6100/66

He's wondering what would be a good price to pay for each of these?

Thanks!

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

About $5 each, except for the SE/30, 512k and Plus... those may be worth about $10. The LC is worth $0.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I still have our old Apple //e in my parents' basement, the joystick for it (with it's original box!) and my brother still has his SE/30 I believe. Great machines! :cool:

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

What dpaanlka said -- they're worth nothing in terms of, like, legal currency. In terms of fun and enjoyment, they're worth... about the same :D

I'll give some advice straight from my soul. You can pass it on to your friend or ignore it.

The simple truth that I have learned is that a decent C2D MacBook or iMac, or a Mac mini is worth what it's worth on the market -- as is a G4 iBook, a NeXTStation, an SGI Indy, and an Atari Mega ST 2. I've owned about fifty computers (last time I counted, I think it was 47, but I don't remember when I last counted), and the ones I've enjoyed most were the newer ones -- the ones that could use modern hardware and software.

I'll give an example. I bought a NeXTStation Mono for $120. This was my first Steve Jobs computer. I'd never even run OS X at that point. It came with 8MB of RAM and a 426MB HD, if I remember correctly, and NeXTSTEP 3.3. It was a lot of fun -- best keyboard I've ever typed on, etc -- except I couldn't do a damn thing else with it. It couldn't mount remote NFS, SMB, or AFP drives because it didn't have certain packages -- which required the CD with the original OS that was too expensive, and required a special CD-ROM. It had a floppy drive, but there was no way I could create a proper NS-formatted floppy, much less fit 3MB and 4MB (at least) programs on it to transfer over. It used ethernet, thankfully, but if I recall correctly it didn't have DHCP and for some reason the networking never worked right, even when I plugged in the values myself. It was a beautiful machine, and the OS was incredible -- but I ended up selling it, and although I've missed it, I haven't really regretted it.

Multiply that by, well, about 40 at this point. SGI machines, Sun machines, Apple machines, Atari machines, PCs, and so on. I've spent an absolutely grotesque amount of money collecting machines, thrown good money after bad trying to fix them up (buying new network cards, buying SCSI CD-ROMs and HDs and obscure RAM, buying display adapters, buying old install media, buying ethernet hubs with coax crossovers... the list goes on and on.

This might all seem irrelevant, or preaching to the choir, or just a bit of bitching and moaning about poor decisions. I don't intend it to be. It's merely cautionary -- tell your friend to keep the values of these machines in perspective and not make a career of almost literally flushing money down the toilet trying to get satisfaction out of these old bastards. Old computers have character, yes -- but that's really about all they have. Modern machines are more powerful, more versatile, more efficient with electricity and time and resources, and are all around just plain better deals.

</sob story>

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well that's debatable. Someone may very well get a lot of fun out of an SE/30. Or a 6100/66. But the rest of them aren't exactly the best pics of the vintage Macs. Especially the LC.

If you want to get "into" vintage Macs, this is a good list (created by myself) of what to look for to get maximum vintage fun.

6. jcoop macrumors member

That's a terrific list. I actually have a few of those, including a Powerbook 540, a Powerbook 3400c (paid $3000 in 1997), and a Performa 575 (similar to the LC 580 you list). I also still have the SE that I bought in 1989, replacing my original Fat Mac. I don't use any of these very much, but I do fire them up every once in awhile, and they always bring a smile to my face.

I had a 20th Anniversary Mac for about five years, using it regularly, but I sold it when the LCD's brightness began to fade significantly. That was a neat machine, too.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The 512K is worth more... check the completed eBay auctions...

8. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Mac Plus values are on the way upwards now as well, worth probably £30-£40 here in the UK if in full working order and not too yellow.

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Ooh, the LC! I remember that one, even though I was bearly a year old when it came out. But I lost my technonolgy virginity with the LC, so yeah. :)

Speaking of vintage Macs, I've got myself a PowerBook 180, and I'm trying to get my grandma's SE/30 (the computer that I had an affair with after I met the LC).

10. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

You make it sound so sleazy, but if you consider apple's naming conventions at the time it came out, the SE/30 should have been the SE/X. In that light, the affair makes sense.

I was able to remain loyal, because I owned the se/30 and had no need to wander...