Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last week Apple commercials from the 1980s began resurfacing on YouTube channel EveryAppleAds, offering an extensive look at Apple advertising during that time period. Now, the same YouTube channel has uploaded a video of late film critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert reviewing similar ads.

The video appears to have been recorded at a special Apple event in 1986, as indicated by the Apple podium that Siskel stands behind. The two famous critics use the format of their then-popular film review show "Siskel & Ebert At The Movies", minus the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" rating system, to critique some of Apple's mid-80s commercials.

Siskel was particularly impressed with the ads, noting that while he usually only likes one out of every three films he sees, he liked all five of the Apple commercials.
"And in sum, this is one of the more impressive series of commercials I've seen and I've seen a lot. Especially, I think, it's an impressive series if you run just the ones that we've picked. In fact, they're so good they're almost good enough to make me, a movie critic, want to watch prime time TV in order to see them again. Almost."
Additional vintage ads, including the ones Siskel and Ebert reviewed, can be found on EveryAppleAds' YouTube channel.

Article Link: Vintage Video of Movie Critics Siskel and Ebert Reviewing Apple Commercials Surfaces Online

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
1986 Blimey as i am english and i was 6 for this video i have no idea who these two are but the one with the grey wig hair piece made me chuckle the most was that the point as for the actual adverts bring back jeff and shadows

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Have they ever reviewed that into sequence? There's no way it'd get two thumbs up!

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
1986 Blimey as i am english and i was 6 for this video i have no idea who these two are but the one with the grey wig hair piece made me chuckle the most was that the point as for the actual adverts bring back jeff and shadows

Careful now. He is Chicago-bread. That hair is real. We make 'em good and make 'em big.

Roger-Ebert.jpg

Roger

rod-1.jpg

Blago

1987-oprah-winfrey-435.jpg

O

WisdomSeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
It's been years

I still miss them and their reviews. I know Ebert was a massive Apple fanboy. I can remember seeing both of them, but never at the same, in the movie theatre where I used to work in downtown Chicago. They shook the world.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
You're not looking. The newspaper salesman and the delivery guy are black and yellow, there's two colored people on the terras and that's just in the 40 second intro.

Ignore the race baiters we have here, they're just looking for an argument and to completely derail the conversation.

rescued64

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Nashville, TN
Careful now. He is Chicago-bread. That hair is real. We make 'em good and make 'em big.

Roger-Ebert.jpg

Roger

rod-1.jpg

Blago

1987-oprah-winfrey-435.jpg

O

Just a note, Oprah is from Mississippi originally, moved to Milwaukee, and at 14 moved to Nashville to live with her dad. She's been in Chicago for a while, but you can't claim her for her hair!

ClemyNX

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Great video. Both critics were very interesting. The idea that Apple makes ads also to reassure customers they have made the right choice 'after' buying an Apple product is still very true nowadays. It talks more to them than to new customers. People who don't own Apple products feel that in the ads and have the feeling of missing something that way. That's my take.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.