Vinyl; 24 bit / 96 kHz [ALAC]

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by visim91, Jan 19, 2012.

1. visim91, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

visim91 macrumors 6502

Hey all, I'm here seeking the help of individuals who consider themselves to be audiophiles, or even those who just enjoy Hi-Fi sound.
    Really, the only stipulation is that you own audio consumption gear other than the generic Apple-supplied headphones.

I've poured a lot of resources into setting up a powerful and highly-capable Vinyl-ripping-rig; almost as much as I've poured into my vinyl collection.
    I'm really proud of my burgeoning vinyl iTunes library. It sounds great. Or, at least I think it does.

This is why I'm posting - I would like to throw a few samples your way, to test their fidelity with your ears, on your gear - be it a pair of IEMs (In-Ear-Monitors), a HTS (Home Theater System) or anything in-between.

I take sound quality seriously, and I wish more individuals were aware of what they miss when choosing a 256 kbps file (16/44.1) over a proper and authentic high-resolution rip (24/96) from a reliable source.

Time by Pink Floyd

-Adjust volume to account for the lack of "loudness" you may be accustomed to due to the shameless butchering technique used by most masters, today.

2. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Cool, I'll take a look at it when I get home tonight.

3. andymodem macrumors 6502a

Couldn't tell a difference between the vinyl rip or converted to 256k AAC (Which is what my library is). :(

Listened through Sennheiser HD595's plugged into my M-Audio AV40's.

4. visim91 thread starter macrumors 6502

I switched the songs, try Time. It is more recent, and used a different rig than the one used for Led Zep.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

There seems to be less treble rolloff on the vinyl rip, and a tiny bit more dynamic range compared to my 03 remaster. The punches of the drums and sizzle of the hi-hats are more apparent on the vinyl. It seems as though it both goes deeper and extends higher. The textures and microdetail seemed about the same.

I can't tell the difference between 18bit and 24bit when I set my itunes to play 24 bit through midi setup-- and yes I am using a 24 bit dac.

I've a Denon D2000, Beyerdynamic DT990 600Ω, OTL headphone amp and PSB Images.

6. visim91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, tell me how this sounds on your Shure 535's! I never did get those, I went for the Westone 4 instead. They're good for the plane, I tell ya.

----------

I'm always hearing good things about the Beyerdynamic; I have to check those out.

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

They are some of the crispiest sounding headphones on the market.