Vinyl; 24 bit / 96 kHz [ALAC]

visim91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Hey all, I'm here seeking the help of individuals who consider themselves to be audiophiles, or even those who just enjoy Hi-Fi sound.
Really, the only stipulation is that you own audio consumption gear other than the generic Apple-supplied headphones.

I've poured a lot of resources into setting up a powerful and highly-capable Vinyl-ripping-rig; almost as much as I've poured into my vinyl collection.
I'm really proud of my burgeoning vinyl iTunes library. It sounds great. Or, at least I think it does.

This is why I'm posting - I would like to throw a few samples your way, to test their fidelity with your ears, on your gear - be it a pair of IEMs (In-Ear-Monitors), a HTS (Home Theater System) or anything in-between.

I take sound quality seriously, and I wish more individuals were aware of what they miss when choosing a 256 kbps file (16/44.1) over a proper and authentic high-resolution rip (24/96) from a reliable source.

Time by Pink Floyd

-Adjust volume to account for the lack of "loudness" you may be accustomed to due to the shameless butchering technique used by most masters, today.

Last edited:

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Couldn't tell a difference between the vinyl rip or converted to 256k AAC (Which is what my library is). :(

Listened through Sennheiser HD595's plugged into my M-Audio AV40's.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Couldn't tell a difference between the vinyl rip or converted to 256k AAC (Which is what my library is). :(

Listened through Sennheiser HD595's plugged into my M-Audio AV40's.
I switched the songs, try Time. It is more recent, and used a different rig than the one used for Led Zep.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
There seems to be less treble rolloff on the vinyl rip, and a tiny bit more dynamic range compared to my 03 remaster. The punches of the drums and sizzle of the hi-hats are more apparent on the vinyl. It seems as though it both goes deeper and extends higher. The textures and microdetail seemed about the same.

I can't tell the difference between 18bit and 24bit when I set my itunes to play 24 bit through midi setup-- and yes I am using a 24 bit dac.

I've a Denon D2000, Beyerdynamic DT990 600Ω, OTL headphone amp and PSB Images.

visim91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Cool, I'll take a look at it when I get home tonight.
Hey, tell me how this sounds on your Shure 535's! I never did get those, I went for the Westone 4 instead. They're good for the plane, I tell ya.

----------

I've a Denon D2000, Beyerdynamic DT990 600Ω, OTL headphone amp and PSB Images.
I'm always hearing good things about the Beyerdynamic; I have to check those out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.