Vinyl ripping at faster than real time

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by henryseiden, Nov 29, 2009.

1. henryseiden macrumors member

henryseiden

I have been looking for a way to rip vinyl at faaster than real time and found what I thought would be promising software... TAR- The Analogue Ripper, a piece by Ian Mann.

Version 2.05 is supposed to work and supposed to have a free demo. However, it does neither. First, it has to run on Rosetta as it is not directly compatible with Intel Macs. Next, it does not support 64bit architecture of course and starts extremely slowly on Snow Leopard. This software is still sold for OS9.

Last (for my demo) a supposed fully functioning demo, does not save or export any files! So ends my trial. Is there anything else out there that does faster than real time recording (TAR promises 45RPM recording of 33.33RPM records, aka speed compensation. If it works this would be a boon for ripping at a 35% advantage over real time recording. I'd want to see if the response and fidelity are preserved. I'd wanted to take two cuts of the same music and compare them, one at corrected speed to the normal recording.

I've looked at SoundStudio 3.x. I've heard about Audacity. Neither have faster than normal speed compensation for vinyl ripping.

Does anyone have info on anything else?

Henry

2. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I can't imagine it would be as good as real time recording.
    With the EIAA compensation and needle dynamics at about 50% faster ...

Put headphones on and enjoy and record at the same time.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

With turntable dynamics I can't imagine recording at 45 would be the same quality as 33.

I would suggest taking the time to get a good recording in the first place.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Or buy the CD and enjoy vinyl the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

5. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Thats not always an option, Jess. My boss has a ton of old LPs that he cant find on cd, so he gave them to me to record so he can listen to them in his car or in the office. I should have declined, all i hear from his desk now is annoying banjo music :p

6. dougb256 macrumors member

The last thing you want to do with vinyl is speed it up to copy it.

7. Lordedmond macrumors regular

to true