ViPhone- will it come programmed for specific phone number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FarCountry, Feb 4, 2011.

1. FarCountry macrumors newbie

I have a situation that I have noticed a few others are in. I ordered my Verizon iPhone from Apple, and my wife's from VZW. Now I see that the VZW one (my wife's or more importantly, not MINE) will likely arrive sooner as Apple does not appear to have shipped yet and our one from VZW looks to be coming on Monday. So, I am wondering how they are actually assigning a specific phone to a specific phone number, because I obviously want to use whichever one comes first for myself. This is of course to make sure that the phone is safe before I let my wife use one.

Another thing is that I am Mac and she is PC, so I will need to set her phone up for use on PC and mine on Mac. I wonder how, when you order multiple phones, you keep them straight and make sure the right person gets the right phone.

Any thoughts???

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

They will already have a phone number assigned to the ESN of the phone if Verizon sticks with their standard practices.
    All you will have to do is activate it.

3. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

if I read correctly.. one is coming from VZW and the other from Apple..

So I have no idea how that would be handled. But according to the confirmation email (getting ready guide) you don't activate it like it was done traditionally ( other phones from VZW ). Activation is required by using a register itunes. Good luck.

4. soadquake981 macrumors newbie

You're in luck -- I've spoken to two different Verizon reps about this.

The package will come with an orange slip that has a phone number to call in situations like this. Call that number, and you can have the ESN switched and have the iPhone activated on a different line within a family plan. That's what I'm planning to do.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

In case it what, attacks her? Good thing you'll let her use one after though.

6. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Funniest thing I have read all night!!!

7. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

You sound like a selfish, authoritarian husband.

8. royal31 macrumors newbie

I heard the same thing from a rep yesterday, she said it is the same as any other phone, just call and they can switch the ESN and it should only take 5 minutes. She also said you should be able to do it on your "My Verizon" account like any other phone.

9. FarCountry thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a joke. She has very little interest in the iPhone, or any other modern tech for that matter. i bought one for her so that she we can facetime with each other and so she at least has something more fun than the POS phone she has. She wants me to set mine up first and mess with it some so that I can answer any questions she has. If I don't take the first one, it will just sit anyway until mine is up and running and she sees it in action. Sheesh.

10. Remmnever macrumors member

Meh that's not bad. I stole my wifes upgrade so I can get the iphone 4. Then when my upgrade is available in june I will get the iphone 5 and pass down the 4 to her. She's not into new tech so she doesn't care.

11. FarCountry thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my original plan, but I chickened out for fear of it backfiring.

12. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

stop being selfish and your problems will be solved.

-Steve

sent from iPhone 5