Virex problem

macapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Switzerland
I am running virex 7.2 and when i finish a scan it says it has found 8 possibly infected files but it does not clean them if i said they should be cleaned. Also how do i find out what files are possibly infected.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Virex 7.2 makes doing this WAY more difficult than it needs to be. What you have to do is save the log to a text file, open the file with an application like TextEdit, search for words that indicate trouble (like "virus" and "infect"), then take appropriate action on the offending files - what you do depends on what kind of files are flagged. For example, if a MS Word document is listed as possibly infected, stripping it of macros would be a reasonable action to take. Other file types are usually best deleted.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
Virex 7.2 makes doing this WAY more difficult than it needs to be. What you have to do is save the log to a text file, open the file with an application like TextEdit, search for words that indicate trouble (like "virus" and "infect"), then take appropriate action on the offending files - what you do depends on what kind of files are flagged. For example, if a MS Word document is listed as possibly infected, stripping it of macros would be a reasonable action to take. Other file types are usually best deleted.
I have 11 files showing as possibly infected. How do I search through the text document as you suggest?

Also how would you strip a document of macros?

And I always have 3 non critical errors, do you know what that means? and 3278 files not scanned????

Thanks
Scot

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I've wondered what's up with Virex, and not scanned files, possibly infected files, and non-critical errors myself... I'm coming up with 1 possibly infected, but have no clue what it is, or how to handle it... This thread could be real helpful...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
To search, simply open the document in TextEdit, then choose Find from the Edit menu and type what you're looking for in the Find box.

To strip a MS Word document of macros, open it in Word, choose Tools->Macros, select everything, then click delete. If you can't select all of them at once, select each one then click delete.

A non-critical error may indicate several things:
1. A corrupt file
2. Access was denied due to permissions
3. Some other internal problem within Virex

Typically, files aren't scanned if their types and/or filenames are on Virex's exclusion list. This could be because scanning them cannot be done while the application that uses them is open, for example.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
Thanks wrldwzrd, I'm at work now, will try searching my text doc when i get home and see what the little buggers are!

The only app that I had running while i did my last scan was Safari, do you think that could have caused so many things not to be checked?

Scot

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
Thanks wrldwzrd, I'm at work now, will try searching my text doc when i get home and see what the little buggers are!

The only app that I had running while i did my last scan was Safari, do you think that could have caused so many things not to be checked?

Scot
Safari does generate lots of little cache files - your theory makes sense and could be the cause of that behavior, though I can't say for sure.