virgin 1.1.4 iPhone, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by amemoryoncelost, Mar 5, 2008.

1. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

So I've read bits and pieces about hacking our phones, but never really saw the point. That is until I played a hacked touch today, so now I'm all about it, never really knew so much was out there, apple really needs open up the playing field here.
    Anyways, I'm an AT&T customer, so need to worry about that. I'm at 1.1.4, which I heard isn't a big problem, some apps aren't 1.1.4 comp., but most work. I bought my phone about a month after launch and it's a 4gb model.
    Should I just use ziphone, which everyone seems to be into and I see iNdependence will work as well.
    Oh and I did do some searching, just confuses me more and more :( Just looking for complete idiot material here. Which program do I use, then were do I get my apps kind of idiot material, lol. Either way, thanks for all the help you've offered to everyone else and you might hopefully offer me.

-dustin

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

3. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got like 30 pages open in firefox, all about this, still a little confused, but should be fine. I'm doing a fresh restore of 1.1.4 now, since most tutorials I've read ask you to do this. Once I get done with that, you run "do it all!" via the ZiPhone GUI.
    I'm just confused about the all the BSD and installer talk. Will I be able to do all this via the installer button that should show up on my main screen right? Anything else? A little nervous...

Also, I did the restore, itunes icon and cable screen came up, I left it plugged in and it's now activated. Do I need to close itunes before it's activated and I run ZiPhone, or run ZiPhone after the phone has been activated via iTunes?

4. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Don't "do it all" !!!!

Just use the "jailbreak" option on the ZiPhone GUI.

>.<

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Since you're AT&T, just jailbreak it.

It's Installer app. Helps keep things clear. Installer app should show up on your screen. Make sure you have a good wifi connection, then install BSD Subsystem from the System apps. If you need to access your phone by sftp your user name is 'root' and password is 'alpine'.

Yes, after the Restore is complete, quit iTunes.

6. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, jailbreak option only. Sorry, a little confused on the restore part a teeny bit. Hit the option button, find 1.1.4 restore, do the restore, when the screen comes up with the cord and itunes icon, do I continue on with activation or unplug right there?

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If you have a ATT account, activate with iTunes, otherwise activate with ziphone.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Once iTunes has restored your phone to 1.1.4 and rebooted, just quit iTunes and launch ZiPhone.

9. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

Ummmmm, too easy? Just ran ZiPhone, jailbreak me option only(3rd one down) and it literally took 45 seconds at the most. I'm a Dual 2.7ghz G5 running 10.4.11, so happy.

Now that installer is on springboard, ran it, it's asking to update installer(3.01), which I guess I will do and then install BSD.

What should I do once the basic stuff is done? Anything I shouldn't do???

10. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Yup, it really is that easy. :D

Enjoy the jailbreak!!

11. TaeJunLee macrumors newbie

ZiPhone 2.5c "Do it all"

I've restored OTB IPhone to 1.14 and then ran Ziphone 2.5c with "Do it All"

Everything works fine, phone is unlocked and any sim card works.

However, when you do "Do it all" in Ziphone, how can you restore the Iphone to Factory Default?

Can anyone tell me?

12. breedofone macrumors newbie

ziPhone

just open ziPhone 2.5 GUI then click advanced options recovery mode you will boot the the iTunes and the connect cable symbol then click on Refurbish button on ziPhone then the iPhone will be like the day you bought it. :D

not sure if that answers your ?

and if not feel free to well ask again.

13. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

Where can I get a list of good sources? I like what I see now, but I hear about all of these other cool apps and am kind of stumped...

14. moviecouple macrumors regular

I am going to buy a 16GB iPhone tonight, but don't (right now) want to use the AT&T phone part of it. Just need it as more of a Touch... with the benefit of an external speaker and camera.

So now can some tell me if the Ziphone 2.5c will work with this and what should I do? What do the 3 modes (Unlock, Jailbreak, Activate) do to the iPhone?

15. tylerhbrown macrumors newbie

I'm really confused because when I click on the download ziphone for mac button I get a screen with alot of code, no download, using safari. Using firefox, it only downloads a tiny .exe file that os x sees as a mpeg. What is going on?
    THB

UPDATE: got it, had to change it to .zip

16. TaeJunLee macrumors newbie

Restore to Factory Default

==========================================
    Thanks for your reply.

However, could you guide me a steps by steps?

Here is what I understood.
    0. Connect IPhone to PC
    1. Run Ziphone 2.5c
    2. Click Advanced Features
    3. Click Recovery Mode (at this point, IPhone will display Connect Cable Symbol)
    4. Click Refurbish botton.

Also have you done the above steps and was successful?