Virgin (Branson brand) Wireless

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yojitani, Mar 6, 2009.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm thinking of changing carriers to something cheaper and Virgin is the cheapest I've found ($20 pm for prepaid). I'm wondering though is this a case of 'you get what you pay for'? I'd like to hear experiences from customers past and present.

Thanks!
    YT

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I've used Virgin pre-paid and it's no different than any of the other pre-paid carriers, as far as I can tell (besides being cheaper).

That being said, keep in mind that they try to have a very hip-hop feel. When you call to top up, the recorded voice that guided you through everything is a little "ghetto" and even uses some street slang, and much of their literature and signage reflects this attitude.

Gets a little annoying after a while...

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Oh great :rolleyes:. I've never used prepaid. Is it any worse than your regular contract carrier? I'm with AT&T right now but my contract ended a few months ago. They were my first experience with a cell phone carrier in the US.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Virgin Mobile is fine.

I've used it before- no problems.

The only thing really different between pre-paid and contract is that you pay before you use your stuff. And the minimum balance on your account has to be 20$ I think.

5. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If you don't use your phone everyday, it definitely works out less to do pre-paid. Even then, if your calls aren't long, it might still be worth it.

But I totally agree that Virgin is a smart move. There's even specials at Target sometimes where they throw in an extra $5 card with a $20 purchase and stuff like that.

6. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

I should keep my eyes open then. I was just going to order from the website... yeah, I'm not a big phone user at all. The AT&T plan has been a total waste. My wife and I have used about 100 mins a month for the last 2 1/2 years.