Virgin eyes 150Mb broadband speed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bartelby, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bartelby macrumors Core

BBC Link

I bet they'd still use their stupid traffic shaping nonsense!!

I also think they should be concentrating getting their whole network to one speed before going for faster speeds!

I did search, so apologies if this is already somwhere...

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They also need to do something about their dog slow upload connections.

My 10 Meg download speeds are ok (traffic shaping excepted) but the 512 K upload speed is rubbish. Unfortunately, the download speeds seem to attract all the headlines. :(

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

MBPS wars are a lot like the MHz myth in processors. They keep making a big deal about how their peak service has some insane download rate. Granted, this comes in extremely useful when you're home from work at 2 in the afternoon downloading a HD movie off iTunes (not that the Apple side of the iTunes Store connection will give you 150MBPS anyway), or downloading six different Linux ISOs, but... how many other times is it that useful? And how often will you actually achieve the peak data rate?

I think they should work more on getting the typical data rates at peak times better -- traffic smoothing, rather than just release a new service that offers you gigabit transfer speeds at theoretical max and crap when you actually use it.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Hear hear!

Until then I remain unimpressed.

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I'll believe it when I can see it and take advantage of downloading stuff without traffic shaping or bandwidth limiting.

6. garybUK Guest

garybUK

it'll be fantastic for multiple users at once in the house.

I have a 20mbps Virgin internet at the moment and sometimes do get the 2.2mb/s rate but mostly it's great because my dad+brother game (with voice) at the same time, while me, my mother and sister will be browsing the web.

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Wow i still think 400KBPS download is fast after dial up hughs nets a rip!

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Not to sound like an advert, but check out BeThere. I'm with them as are several friends, and I know several companies changing to them.

Not perfect but pretty decent speeds. If you really wanna reward me, pm me for a referral, and you'll get free connection (saves £24) plus I get a free month's line rental.

Also FYI they're offering £40 of game vouchers (probably crap) or £40 account credit (probably a better idea) to new joiners before 31st march.

If I was really whoring, I'd give an affiliate link, but I'm not, so just a plain vanilla link: http://bethere.co.uk

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

150mb? 50mb? 25mb?

Pfft. I'd settle for something faster than the 900kbps connection they can only currently offer me :rolleyes:

*they haven't put in them there cable broadband stuffs up in th'ills yet.

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if it makes you feel any better.. i am paying for a T3 connection and since there is a PS3 in the house i can't enable wireless N only on my Airport Express.... sooo i only get about 3,000kb/s

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Phew! That sure does make me feel better! :rolleyes:

We're paying the full whack for some BT option 3 (or something) which means we should get up to 8mb, at least at 2mbps along with a phone and some kind of TV set-top box. We paid for it all but they said due to our less than 2mbps speed (broke promise 1) that we can't get the set-top box.
    But we signed anyways. £24/m I think for 900kbps. Bandwidth is unlimited but the connection goes off between 3-7pm as my MSN messenger and iChat buddies know :rolleyes:

12. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Meh. Virgin Media (well, it was NTL then) lost me when they wouldn't do anything about congestion in my area. Contention had got so bad that my 20Mbit line (for £37.99 p.m.) was giving me approx 6Mbit actual transfer speed.

Switched to Be's Unlimited plan and although exchange distance means I'll only sync at about 9Mbit, at least I'll actually get real transfer speeds of about 9Mbit down and 1.2Mbit up... for £18 p.m.)

Shame... the cable tech is much more elegant than ADSL in theory, but VM just seem to be all about headline-grabbing stats rather than building a solid network.

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I've got no complaints with Virgin Media. I'm on a 10mb service for 14 quid a month. I get the full 10mb and download... erm... a lot. Not contention, very rarely do I get any restrictions. One day I download about 2x15gb in about 3ish hours or something (can't remember exactly... but fast). The restricted it to 2mb 'till the morning.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

And with that internet speed, any virgin will stay a virgin...