Virgin Media = the Devil

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MentalFabric, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I'm disappointed to see that Virgin Media internet is being advertised on the front page. Surely this should come with a warning:

VIRGIN MEDIA WILL TRAIPS THROUGH YOUR INTERNET USAGE AND DISCONNECT YOU IF YOU USE BITTORRENT

Just a thought :confused: :eek: :D

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The ads are not specifically selected, monitored or approved by MR
    They come from a common feed

If you have an issue with a particular ad, you can report it to one of the Site Administrators and they can have it blocked

Leaders Page

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

They also throttle back your bandwidth after a while too. Plus their service was a pile of crap the day they became Virgin. Everything was fine until that day then I had nothing but problems and around 20% downtime so I left them.

I had been with them since they first started back in '96 i think and even with all my problems they wouldnt even swap my old wired modem for a newer wireless one. SWAP not give, SWAP! But they happily hand them out to new customers?!

Fibre optics is the future but when the service provider can't 'provide' whats the use?

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

If it is to come with a warning, at least make it accurate. :rolleyes:

5. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Virgin only throttles your bandwidth, not drops the connection.
    But they're terrible. Ever since they took over NTL its been awful.

Maybe this thread should be on the community discussion or apple and industry subforum instead...

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

As MacDawg has said, MacRumors has no real control as to what ads pop up on your page, they come in through an ad provider (I believe that it is Google) and are put on pages that appear to have relevant information to what their ad is advertising.

And I wouldn't worry about it too much, not that many people go completely through from an ad on a webpage to complete service with what that ad was advertising, at least from my perspective.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I use BitTorrent, and I'm on VM. Speed is very good, speedtest.net ranks my connection in the top 5% in the country.

Phorm isn't running, and it was BT that actually did a completely illegal test run of it.

The throttling after you've downloaded a certain amount each day is certainly an annoyance, and while I don't agree with it for a moment I can live with it.

I also can't remember the last time my services were down.

I have my gripes with VM, no doubts, but I hardly think ads for them placed by advertising networks at random on the front page warrants a Site and Forum Feedback thread :rolleyes:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Unless it's a particularly offensive advert, not much'll be done about it. Someone has to pay to keep the site up. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.