Virgin Media - Throttling Advice for Mozy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dalvin200, Jan 19, 2009.

1. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Right.. I just subscribed to MozyHome today and have started the backup process this evening.

I'm with Virgin Media (and this thread is not about how good or bad Virgin media is ok? save that for another time) on the XL package.

There is a summary table of throttling caps and times here: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

I understand that if i upload 1.4gb+ between 3pm - 8pm then my upload limit will be throttled by 75% for 5 hours..

Now I want to work out what throttle limit I should be setting in Mozy during these "peak" times.

The upload speed is 768Kb (that's kilobit or kilobyte per second? i'm assuming kilobit) ... then using this convertor (i'm lazy!! :D) I can see that if i were to constantly get 768 Kilobits/second it would equal 0.09375 megabytes / second.

doing simple maths to find out how much megabytes uploaded in 5 days at this upload speed gives:

((0.09375 * 60) * 60) * 5 = 1687.5 megabytes in 5 hours

this is obviously is over the 1400 megabytes threshold.

I have the upload speed in Mozy currently set to:

Picture 1.png

So with this setting (435 Kbits/second) using the same conversion and calculation above, gets 955mb in 5 hours..

Plus allow some extra uploads for email etc, using this setting should be pretty much OK right?

Just want to double check I haven't missed anything obvious and that the calculations are correct...

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds good to me. You're probably low-balling your estimate a bit, but that's better than the alternative. And yes, it would be measured in kilobits.

3. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

.. i think working backwards from 1400mb i could set it to around 630 kilobits/second but wanted to have some contingency anyway..

as long as i've worked it out right then hopefully it will be fine... you're right though... i've changed the limit to 550 :)