Virgin Media/Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mark9926, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Mark9926 macrumors newbie

Hello.

To cut to the chase, I am in desperate need of some help.

I recently changed my ISP to Virgin Media, receiving a NetGear Wireless Router in the process.

However, as I have gone to install it and after ringing up customer support it became apparent that it was 'not Mac compatible'.

Therefore, I carried out a quick internet browse, indicating that there might perhaps be a chance of it working.

So basically, firstly I would much appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on where I stand (Is it/is it not impossible to get it working?), and if so, how do I go about setting it all up..??

Thanks for your time.

Mark.

2. benmoorhouse macrumors member

I ordered an iMac yesterday and also have a Netgear router.

Could you please post the model name here as I believe this could also be a problem for me.

3. Mark9926 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe that is is...

Netgear
    Wireless-G Router
    WGR614

4. STM macrumors newbie

Have you found the answer?

Hi,
    I was wondering if you managed to solve your problem as I have the same one, I have tried so many things... I now just want to sit and cry!
    If you have, could you please help,
    Thank s,
    ST

5. delaniso macrumors newbie

i have a suggestion which should work. get a friend/family member/trustworthy person with a windows laptop to install the install disk on their computer...

once you set a password through their computer, the wireless will be running and you will have the password...

simply turn the mac on, airport turned on, search wireless networks, enter password and you're away

6. Harry Palmer macrumors newbie

I am in a similar situation. I've just got a virgin media package and they sent me the same netgear router, they sent me a 'wireless set-up' cd as well, but after an expensive phone call, as I already suspected it's not Mac compatible. I also rang Apple, but they wouldn't help me because I don't have Applecare - even though this is not a warrantee issue...

Anyway, basically I've got no friendly PC user to help me, but I tried switching on Airport and just searching and I found a network labeled 'virgin' and used the password 'password' which I think is the default, and got connected - that is how I'm able to use the internet now. But, and here's the kicker, the signal is AWFUL, and I have a feeling that I might be connected to next-door's internet...I'm not sure how to check...any ideas? x

7. rizam macrumors newbie

virgin media router

hi, i had same problem on my iMac, now i managed to fix it.
    You just need to reset the virgin media router to Restore Factory Defaults setting, than switch off the router for 2 min than back on,
    Try this will work. thanks.

8. kpgh554 macrumors regular

me- i'd cancel contract as sold not fit for purchase as not usable. it not your fault it not mac friendly (virgin not that mac friendly anyway). if they argue then get them to send round a techy to set it up free. if not cancel go for a better supplier e.g. o2 or bt

9. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I find it almost humorous that a networking device can be described as "not _____ compatible" (fill in your favorite brand device). Networking is networking is networking...

IMNSHO, anyway.