Virgin Mobile iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsbenawhile, Jun 19, 2012.

1. itsbenawhile macrumors member

I don't know about you but I'm getting it! For only 30$ a month. Thats going to save me so much.

2. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

So you are going to spend $600 up front to save $40 a month? Ok

3. sixteen12 macrumors regular

I hope you're being sarcastic...you break even on a 16gb in less than a year.

4. itsbenawhile thread starter macrumors member

On sprint i pay 80, so I'm saving 50 a month.

5. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

On a network with such bad voice and data you will probably smash you're phone within a week. If virgin and boost had reliable service, everyone would have it

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you already have sprint the change is mostly a lateral move in terms service as well.

It's a pretty good deal.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

For individual plans. Prepaid makes more sense than postpaid.

You only see savings with family plans 3 lines of higher.

Just do the math. Full price $650 plus $30-50 a month.

Vs $200 upfront subsidized and paying $80-90 a month when taxes are factored in

The math points to prepaid being the much better way to go with individual plans.

8. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Guys...if you going to go spend your fortune buying out a iPhone 4S/4 outright....like many I suggest you spend it where you get your moneys worth. Check out other plan options listed in the link below of my thread......Virgin's network is going to be far slower than Straight Talk's and any other options I listed in my thread cause they use HSPA/HSPA+ 3G which is far greater than CDMA 3G...plus your iPhone will have better value being a GSM Unlocked (cause you can spend $650 to get a factory unlocked iPhone 4S instead of the stupid CDMA one which you can't use anywhere in USA...it is only unlocked for international use)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1356525

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Sure if you like paying retail for an iphone that you wont be able to use with other carriers, after you decide virgin sucks! Good luck with that!

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The biggest reasons to go VirginMobile over StraightTalk:
    • Fully configured. You need to be tech-savvy to get data and mms working under StraightTalk.
    • VM service is better than AT&T for that location
    • save $180 a year vs StraightTalk
    • it is less expensive to buy the VM iPhone than an AT&T model
    I have a prepaid 32gb iPhone 4 w/straighttalk but I'll be getting a 16 gb iPhone 4 for my wife. VM service is excellent in our area.

11. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

You know to be honest Data setting is super easy unlockit.co.nz and as for MMS...I never understood why it is such a huge thing for ppl....I have in my life only sent like 1 MMS msg....owning phones since 2006....and now days with the addition of iMessage and whatsapp...never have the need for MMS....because if you understand MMS only works when data enabled...thats the same as iMessage and Whatsapp...which compress the images to so little that over 5 months I have sent over 20,000 messages and 125 images via whatsapp 28.6MB...also I'm not sure how you bought your iPhone 4 but I can get a iPhone 4 16GB for ~ $250-$275 second hand....sure Sprint ones are a little cheaper by like $20-$30. You will also get slower speeds with VM and can't do DATA+Voice at the same time. I wish you luck either way and hope you enjoy the service:)

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's fine that you have no need for MMS, but there are some who want MMS capabilities.

I bought a brand-new-still-in-the-box 32GB AT&T iPhone 4 for $310 on eBay. But I fully understand that it was a unique situation and hard to replicate. Not everybody can get a new iPhone for that price. When you suggest buying a used AT&T iPhone 4 you are no longer talking about comparable scenarios. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

Is it really reasonable to compare a new CDMA iPhone with a used GSM iPhone?

I would never buy a used iPhone that I intended for longterm (2-3 years) use. The uncertainty of condition and lack of warranty is not worth the difference in upfront cost IMO.

My post was not for the techie but for the non-techie. For the person who doesn't have the ability or inclination to cobble together a workable solution. For those people, a VirginMobile prepaid option is an excellent choice.

13. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

you are saying you'll save $180 over straighttalk?

try to tell me that again when you try to sell it instead of a GSM unlocked version...

14. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

You'll come back to the GSM world, good luck for now

15. sixteen12 macrumors regular

I assume its like Wind and Mobilicity in Canada (Virgin here is just rebranded Bell) where you get really cheap plans but they only work in major cities. Awesome for anybody who does, spotty reception sometimes, but a lot of people feel some troubles are worth saving $500 a year.