Carrier Virgin Mobile...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pr0230, Oct 21, 2016.

1. pr0230 Suspended

I would like to open a virgin mobile account and have an iPhone 7+... They don't have any AND I really don't want to buy from VM, cause if there is a problem I want to go to the apple store and return it. I want to buy a Carrier free phone from Apple and activate on VM...

I just called VM and they said Only THEIR phones work on VM... Is that true? or BS

Just to complicate the matter further - I have a 5s that I did buy from VM... I only ever used it on WIFI and never activated it... If I activated the 5s, could I then just switch the simm card to a NEW 7+ and use it?

2. Radeon85 macrumors regular

What a load of crap from VM, as long as it takes a SIM any unlocked phone will work with them. If you buy the phone outright just pop the VM SIM in and use it. As long as the SIM is active it should be fine.

Seems VM just want extra money.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I see you are in the UK?

I bring that up because the Virgin Mobile that is VM outside of the USA is vastly different than the Virigin Mobile INSIDE the USA.

VM in the US is owned and operated by Sprint. It's an MVNO that operates on Sprint's network. Sprint licenses the Virgin Mobile name.

Hence, operating as VM but being owned by Sprint, VM can prevent any device that is not in their whitelist from operating on the network (Sprint's network).

That's probably what the VM rep was meaning.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

They have some very inexpensive data plans.