VirnetX Asks for More Money From Apple, Calls on Court to Shut Down FaceTime and iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 26, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

VirnetX, currently embroiled in a patent dispute with Apple over FaceTime and iMessage, today asked the judge presiding over the case for additional damages and an injunction to block Apple's popular messaging services.

According to Law360, VirnetX argues that an injunction is appropriate because Apple's infringement on VirnetX's patents, which relate to virtual private networking (VPN) protocols, has caused irreparable harm to the company. The Nevada-based patent holding company also called Apple the "poster child" for unreasonable litigation tactics and asked the court to increase its damages award by at least $190 million.

[​IMG]
    Apple is currently appealing a February ruling that awarded VirnetX $625 million in damages, and VirnetX likely wants an injunction put in place to speed along the appeal process and force Apple into paying royalties. Apple has filed for a mistrial on the basis that VirnetX "blatantly misrepresented" the testimony of Apple's witnesses and used "arguments outside the evidence."

If an injunction is granted, Apple will be forced to shut down key features in Messages and FaceTime or find a workaround to avoid using functionality patented by VirnetX.

Article Link: VirnetX Asks for More Money From Apple, Calls on Court to Shut Down FaceTime and iMessage

2. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Just looking at that logo makes me want to punch someone.

3. amg2014 macrumors member

amg2014

The patent thingy between Apple and Virnetx is really starting to annoy me.

4. b0nd18t macrumors 6502

b0nd18t

Is this company a patent troll or do they actually ship a product that uses the patents that are some how affected by iMessage and FaceTime?

5. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Apple should by the company, and force their execs to go test Apple Watch 2 at the summit of Everest

6. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

They have an iOS app that costs a giant 2$ a year.

They do messaging.

7. Xavier macrumors 68030

VirnetX: How much cash does Apple have? Yeah, lets just ask for all of it!

8. WrQth macrumors member

Why does it really matter if they make a product that uses their IP? Wouldn't you want to be paid for an idea you had patented that someone else is using?

If the patent shouldn't have been awarded then that is a whole other situation. Did you also know that part of holding a patent is having to defend it or you lose the patent regardless of it's validity?

9. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

I just checked out their stock. These rulings are making them more money than their entire company is worth.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    They've beenid time and time again. At this point, they're just making up for a failed business.

10. smacrumon, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

First. What a terrible logo VirnexT has. Second. Hope Apple has the 'just in case' scenario ready to go. iMessage and FaceTime are great features of iOS and MacOS.

11. American Hero Suspended

American Hero

So let me get this straight --

How long has FaceTime and iMessage been out for? Six years?

What "irreparable" damage has been done to a company most people haven't even heard of until now?

Looks like a company that's ran and managed by a bunch of losers.

12. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

If you look at their stock price over the last six years, you'll see a trend.

13. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

They're a "patent holding company", also known as a "Patent Troll": They most likely only make income from licensing patents. And suing over patents.
    I stand corrected.

14. ineedamac macrumors 6502

This is the first I've heard of them. Does not seem so "irreparable" damage has been done,

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I wish our worthless justice system would just disband patent trolls already. If you have a legitimate product being copied, then yes, you deserve the money. If not go away! Crooks.

16. ike1707 macrumors 6502

ike1707

"Let's go after their customers, that'll drive the point home!"

17. Supacon macrumors member

Supacon

Fixed that for you.

18. emm386 macrumors 6502

emm386

Did VirnetX too insist, that they were indeed NOT patent trolls but a legitimate company?

A patent for dynamic datastream encryption? Really now? That's essentially math for the algorithms + a bit of common sense for the handshake...

VirnetX may have mislead patent office clerks in the first place, for which they should be dragged to court.

19. predation macrumors 65816

Pretty much the reason I use iOS

20. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Translation:
    "Your honor, this negotiation would go ever so much better for us if we had Apple by the balls. Can you please hand us Apple's balls on a silver platter?"​

Translation:
    "We want to be the spoiled-brat poster child for patent trolls, and we're gonna hold our breath until we turn blue."​

Based on past experience, I'm gonna guess Apple's in the right here. The patent system was intended to give people an incentive to invent new things by granting them exclusive use of their new idea, before others are allowed to copy it. It is being used way too much in the software field for keeping anyone else from taking the obvious next step in many different areas. It was intended to keep people from copying other people's ideas, not to keep people from independently coming up with the same idea. And definitely not to allow folks to charge rent on obvious next step ideas simply by virtue of having filed the paperwork first.

21. avanpelt macrumors 68030

If FaceTime were to disappear (which is a pretty implausible scenario), several people in my family would struggle to do video calls. Part of the benefit of being in the iOS and Mac ecosystem for our family is that we can do video calling with no 3rd party app/account needed.

22. alexgowers macrumors 65816

software technology and patents just don't work. The jury and judges don't understand them and the patent officers don't either. Unrelated technologies are used to stifle and affects the consumer.

The definition of a patent is to protect consumers and move things forward.

I hope patents are reformed soon, it's not helping anyone and those with genuine innovations and patents don't have the cash to defend them and if they are too broad can destroy whole areas of technology if suddenly that area opens up and becomes useful elsewhere. Telecoms and mobile stuff is really suffering and that should be the opposite with the patent system.

23. kaldezar macrumors regular

It's a patent troll.

24. Jason83 macrumors regular

Jason83

Buy the company and execu- err fire everyone.

25. webperfex macrumors member

webperfex

Caused irreparable harm to the company?

Nobody has ever even heard of them. This case is probably giving them more exposure then they ever would get otherwise