Virtual Blank CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rcanpolat, Mar 5, 2009.

1. rcanpolat macrumors member

rcanpolat

hi, im only new to mac and the forum (owned my mac since august) so bare with me if im not fully up to scratch with mac terms.

anyway, so i have been trying to install xp on bootcamp and i keep getting an error saying that there is a problem moving files etc and i need to backup the drive, format osx and reinstall it.

i read another old post here on the forums and it shows me what to do on how to get around it instead of buying an external hd to backup my files.

it told me to install idefrag and cd maker and to defrag the hard disk using a temporary bootable disk running idefrag (because some mac files cannot be moved when in use)

now im into another problem. idefrag and cd maker require me to burn a disk 848 mb's and my mac only has a cd-r / rw. no dvd burner.

so i was wondering if i could create a virtual blank disk to trick cd maker into thinking i inserted a blank disk and it would burn it to my virtual disk. then i could use my small 1gig usb drive and move the files to my windows pc which has a dvd burner and burn the disk there.

but as far as i can see toast does not have an option to create a virtual blank disk. infact i've never heard of it been done before and im a windows user for a long ass time.

if anyone can help me out! i dont want to fork out for a dvd burner on ebay because there pretty expensive to ship to ireland and being a student im broke.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Can you post a link to this CD Maker program? The old BootCD app could save as a .dmg, but it only works with 10.3 and below.

3. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It looks like iDefrag does allow you to partially defrag the system while it is in use. Have you tried that? Maybe that's all you need.

5. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

yea i tried that already and it didn't do the trick. lots of people commented on the boot disk defrag method and 90% of them said it done the trick for them and got it working.

others said it was a problem with parallels so i uninstalled it and it had no effect.

6. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat