Virtual Box

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jacob Allen, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Jacob Allen macrumors newbie

When I set up virtual box, it asks how much ram I want to give to the new OS. I know when I'm running the VM, that ram will be unavailable, but does it take up the ram forever, so if I have 4GB of ram, and I give 1GB of ram to the new OS, will OS X only have 3GB left even when the VM is not running?

Attached Files:

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

3. Jacob Allen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks, just making sure I would lose anything.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If you try to give more than half your RAM to the guest OS, it warns you that your host OS may become unstable. I had to do this to run win 8 64 bit inside win 7 32 bit. I had 4 gig of RAM but virtualbox seemed to think I could only give the guest OS 1.5 Gig. I couldn't get through the Win 8 install with less than 2 gig (on windows) so I increased it. I shut down everything but the VM while I was doing the install. After the install I was able to go back and reduce it.

I had a similar situation with win 8 on my Mac. I increased the RAM for the VM to 1.5 Gig to get it to install but I was able to reduce it to only 512MB afterwards. Note that any snapshots I made with the larger RAM were no good anymore.