Virtual CDrom

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chameleon81, Nov 1, 2007.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    Is it possible to create virtual cdrom or dvdrom like we can do in windows with alcohol?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I think I know what you are asking but could give a bit more insight about what you would needing it for?

3. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Basicly i want to run a software or a game without putting the cd inside the cdrom. I ll make image files on the harddrive and mount them on virtual cdroms. I can do it with alcohol 120 in windows.

4. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I am assuming you are asking this so you can run the game without the bother of putting the CD in and Out and using up battery with the CD Spinning. Not so you take the CD put it on your drive so you can give the CD Back to your friend...

Well if you go to Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility

Put in your CD wait for the Icon to apper Click that Icon then go to File -> New -> Disk Image from ....
    and save it as a Master CD. Then it will be on your system. Then you can click the file and it will mount it.... Will the game see it as a CD Rom that is a different issue. Somegames will just make sure that it is accessing files that are in a ISO9660 format While other will be more particular to see if it is actually running form a CD Device. This method will work in the first case.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak