Virtual Desktop question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghking, May 7, 2008.

1. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

hello
    i recently bought an intel iMac off of cragslist. I was excited that it came with XP installed on a seperate partition so i could boot in either one. The bad thing is that the computer didnt come with the XP disks. I was wondering if I installed a virtual desktop client, would there be any way to use the copy of XP on the seperate partition instead of loading it up with a fresh copy? that would be awesome.

Also any suggestions for free virtual desktop programs would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

VMware Fusion 20 beta 1 is free and makes it so you can boot from OSX into XP

www.vmware.com/mac

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

VMWare Fusion and Parallels both allow you to use the BootCamp partition as a virtual machine. Sure, 2.0 BETA is free but it's BETA so I wouldn't trust it simply because it IS beta.

However, once the Fusion and Parallels tools are installed they'll have modified enough of the XP internal hardware to warrant a re-authentication.

Quick note. Just because you HAVE an installation of XP doesn't mean it's legal. The guy could have installed a torrented hack copy. So we'll let morality take care of that issue.

However, if it does ask you to validate again, better hope you don't need your SN.

Another thing to think about. He might have used it as a selling feature, but if he's trying to activate that copy (provided it's legal) and your trying to activate it. Both of you are going to get frequent activation notices and eventually have to call it in. Once you have to call it in YOU NEED your serial number.