Virtual Filing Cabinet/Database/Record Keeping Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by C.Bledsoejr, Sep 10, 2010.

1. C.Bledsoejr macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. (Coulda swore I was a member here already but I guess this is my first post).

I'm looking for mac compatible record keeping software. Nothing fancy, I just want a visually pleasing application where I can import important files like birth certificate, SSN, tax documents and etc. and be able to organize/color code etc. Of course, it needs to be able to encrypt databases. I'm basically looking for an alternative to what my bank Wells Fargo provides online for secure doc backups. (I already have a backup solution for my entire computer)

I found a program called Records Master, but it's a little too basic and doesn't prove to be much more helpful over creating an encrypted mountable drive (which is pretty much what I do now). I'm simply looking to streamline some of my paperwork like taxes and stuff, and it's a pain looking through mounds of unorganized half chewed paper that's all over the place taking up too much space.

Any insight would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Take a look at Bento. Not sure if it has built-in encryption, but you could always use it with an encrypted disk image, which you can create with Disk Utility.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I think a lot of solutions don't do their own encryption, requiring an encrypted disk image to satisfy your need.

DevonThink is another database option that can handle files. You can slap a password on your databases, but it still doesn't handle encryption.

4. C.Bledsoejr thread starter macrumors newbie

I took a look at Bento, I've definitely heard of it and may demo it, but it almost has TOO many features, I'd only be using a portion of it's capabilities simply because I don't need them. I guess I may be picky but I'm looking for something a little simpler. I already do encrypted disk images so that's not too big a deal with me. I pretty much throw a bunch of files in it as of now.

DevonThink looks interesting, never heard of it. Funny thing, Im checking the website right now and they say their product is more powerful than Nuance's PaperPort (Which I've also never heard of) but when I took a look at it, it looks like exactly what I need. Unfortunately it's Windows only... Maybe I'll look into this devonthink more if they claim it's a better alternative...

Thanks guys! still open to more if anyone has any more suggestions.