"virtual folders"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LuckyButtons, Sep 27, 2010.

1. LuckyButtons macrumors member

I am wondering, in an attempt to not write my working files to my SSD (main drive), can I still have folders on my Desktop that contain files that actually write to a different internal drive?

Not sure what to call that, but basically the folders are just holding info that is actually somewhere else.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Aliases? Aliases can be put anywhere by highlighting what you want to link to and pressing Command + M. Move the alias to wherever you want.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about Aliases on the Desktop or shortcuts in the Sidebar?

Command+M minimises windows, Command+L makes an Alias.

4. LuckyButtons thread starter macrumors member

ah. so if I have an alias folder on the desktop and I drag something to it, or change something in it, it will automatically update the original folder oon the other drive?

sounds perfect, if that's the case!

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes. You can try it first to verify that function though.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

I moved my home folder to a Caviar Black for that very reason. It is also nice storing all my documents, music, and movies on the mechanical drive too.

7. LuckyButtons thread starter macrumors member

I THINK I want to do that, too.

I am literally about to set up my new 6 core tonight, which I got it with only the 1TB drive, but have a 120gb SSD to install for a boot drive. As well, a 2TB WD Caviar for more storagein Bay 3. I have a couple of questions about the order of how to get this up and running...

1. So first, I'd migrate from my G5 to the 6 Core - to the 1TB.
    2. Would I then put the SSD into Bay 2 (or does Bay 1 have to have the boot drive?)
    A. If the SSD can go into Bay 2 as boot, how do I get only the System and Applications over to it, without all the other data?
    B. If the SSD goes in Bay 1 - would I switch the 1TB to Bay 2, install SSD in Bay 1 and then use the system discs to install on the SSD, and THEN how would I get my current System and Apps onto that without losing anything?

oh boy.

8. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

Sounds like you're going to have a fun evening... i am jeolous.

- I does not matter which bay your boot drive (SSD) is in.
    - The first thing you need to do is change your home dir path to the HD because osx automatically puts it on the boot drive (SSD). you can do that from the advanced user settings. This link explains: http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/.
    - Now when you transfer your other data from it's home dir to the new 6core home dir it will go on the HD and not the SSD.
    - You can migrate all your Apps to the SSD either from a backup or the migration feature in osx. I've never used it, i usually just restore from a backup.

9. LuckyButtons thread starter macrumors member

Question on that last bit - when getting the Apps over to the SSD, do I not have to also get the System Folder over there, too, since it would have data that has correlated to apps and such? I am not sure how to transfer that over. ??

would it work to "clone" the migrated info (system/apps/home, etc) from the 1TB, onto the SSD and then move the Home back over to the HD?

10. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

i am treading on thin ice here... like i said, i usually just restore the system drive so not sure here what you are doing. If i were you i would install SL from scratch on your SSD then add the apps.

maybe someone smarter than me has a better suggestion.

i know, give me your 6core and i will fix it, no problem :D

11. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

btw.. half the fun is messing around with your new machine.. you don't want ALL the answers :)

Listening to some Michael Franks and Mindi Abair.. cool jazz.