Virtual machine causing gaming trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammy0025, Jan 5, 2012.

1. sammy0025 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, since I never wanted a PC, for they are slow, tend to hang and stuff like that, I switched to a Mac. However, I still want my PC games, and I neither want to take the risk of dual-booting using boot camp. I decided to use Parallels, since they can work seamlessly with OS X itself. I primarily use it for gaming and testing out game mods. However, what I noticed about the games in the virtual machine (Windows XP Professional), is that the texture on things like cars look very strange for my GTA SA. Same goes for my Back to the Future: The Game, whereby each character's face look extremely weird, in the sense that there seem to be visible corners, where for entirely normal gameplay, these weird reflections/lines do not exist. I also got a bit more from the Back to the Future: The Game. I found out the if the side of the object is facing light, there will be the weird lines/reflections. I am using a late 2011 13" Macbook Pro and Parallels 7. Someone tell me what's wrong with this computer/virtual machine! I never seen that, even on another virtual machine!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd also recommend that you want to play games bootcamp is still the only viable option if performance is needed especially for demanding games.

4. sammy0025 thread starter macrumors newbie

In fact, I tried to turn up the amount of memory and cores of processor assigned, but no luck. Is there something wrong with the Mac, the virtual machine settings, or the software I used for 'virtualizing'?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, the issue is that under windows directx has direct access to the hardware, but in a virtualized environment it must rely on parallels, which relies on OSX. While parallels has done a great job at providing and improving directx support and performance you still won't come near what you can get by running windows natively.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Virtualizing will never give results as good as running Windows properly - there will always be issues like this no matter how much you tinker with the settings. As has been mentioned, for proper gaming you will need to install Windows using Boot Camp.

7. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

And even then, the Intel HD Graphics 3000 can only take you so far.

Nothing wrong with the Mac or Parallels or it's settings. VMware Fusion is worse for gaming. The problem is the 13" MacBook Pro utilizes an integrated video card that isn't really powerful for gaming. It should handle older games just fine, but not under emulation.

Run Bootcamp and install the games. You'll see an improvement, but it's not going to run like a true gaming PC.

8. sammy0025 thread starter macrumors newbie

Darn:(, I thought MacBooks weren't like that. I should have gotten myself a better one :(:(

9. wpotere Guest

Kind of funny that in order to do what you want you still have to run Windows eh? Windows machines are no slower or faster than OSx than hardware they run on (both are Intel). My Windows 7 machine has been running for over 3 months straight (yeah, I need to patch it) now with no hangups, hiccups or bluescreens. Oddly my Macbook running Lion has had more kernel panics than my Windows machine.

VMs are not really designed or good for gaming. Run bootcamp and install windows natively on your machine and you will a huge performance increase as others have suggested.