Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Rogerss

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I need a quick clarification.

I have a external Hard drive that I use to back up my laptop every couple of weeks or so with Time Machine. I use Parallels to do all my college papers and stuff, so all my documents and papers are all being saved on to the virtual machine. The rest of my computer needs is done with the mac OS.

Lets say i loose all my data on the computer and I have to restore my stuff with my hard drive. When i do that, will I be able to get all my documents in Windows? Like if I lost everything, probably means I would have to re-install parallels and windows again right? So are my documents saved in Windows in my Time Machine back up?

I need some advice on how to keep my virtual machine and mac all backed up.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
If you have a drive failure you could restore your system from your TM backup. This should put everything back to where you were when the TM backup happened, with no need to reinstall Parallels or Windows - the virtual machine containing Windows and all your files should be restored along with everything else.

To go one better, you could maintain a bootable clone of your system disk using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. That way if your hard drive fails you just boot from your cloned backup and carry on working while you get a new disk organized

Mr Rogerss

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Thank you,

I just needed a clarify that my windows documents were backed up inside of Time Machine.

durija

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
If you include your VM in your Time Machine backups, you will probably run out of space very quickly, since the VMs change every time you touch them. I think most people back up their VMs separately for this reason. It's easy enough to carve out another partition on your TM drive for this purpose.

Also, if your VM is running out of Boot Camp, you will need another solution entirely, like winclone for a Windows Boot Camp install.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
If you include your VM in your Time Machine backups, you will probably run out of space very quickly, since the VMs change every time you touch them. I think most people back up their VMs separately for this reason. It's easy enough to carve out another partition on your TM drive for this purpose.

Also, if your VM is running out of Boot Camp, you will need another solution entirely, like winclone for a Windows Boot Camp install.

True, however the OP said he only backs up to TM every couple of weeks or so, and uses Parallels for the VM.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
The Parallels virtual machines are in ~/Documents/Parallels.

Each Parallels VM that you set up will have a folder in there. Just copy the entire vm folder to your backup location

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.