Virtual Machine on SSD or HD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hfg, Aug 10, 2012.

1. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have my computer set up with a SSD for the boot/applications drive, and have my USER directory on the original rotating Hard Disk. I use Windows 7 for Quicken often, and would like to utilize the best speed possible when loading it with VMWare Fusion.

Since the Virtual Machine is a large file of 30GB or so (either Fusion or Parallels) which gets written frequently to the disk, are there any problematic issues with locating that file on the SSD? I don't want to cause my SSD to slow down over time (trim issues) if it would be better to keep the VM on the Hard Disk.

Thanks for any suggestions ... :)

-howard

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

If you have enough room on the SSD, put it on there. I wouldn't worry too much about it causing premature wear on the drive. I have mine on a separate drive just because all of my VMs are about 60GB or so combined, so I would rather not have them taking up space...if space weren't an issue, you bet I would have them on my SSD.

3. man4714 macrumors newbie

can u explain the procedure by which you managed to keep windows on external hard drive?? im trying to figure it out.
    Thanks in advance!!!

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

In Parallels, just go to File -> New and pick which type of VM you are installing and where the OS image is located. Then click continue and on about the third or fourth screen it will give you the option to save it wherever you want. Just select the drive you want to install to and that should do it.

If you already have a VM, just move the .pvm file to the drive you want it to be on and open it from there.

5. hfg thread starter macrumors 68040

hfg

I noticed that man4714 specified an external disk drive with Windows on it. On my installation, and I assumed for WesCole as well, my windows VM is on a separate internal hard drive, I don't know that the same procedure will work with a externally mounted drive (I believe I have read many posts lamenting the inability of running bootable Windows from an externally attached disk drive ... may be the same with virtual Windows?).

WesCole: have you tried your Parallels installation on an external drive? If it works that would be pretty slick for my Air where I don't really want to use up my SSD all the time with Windows storage ... perhaps put it on a SD card.

-howard

6. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I have run it from an external drive as well (FW800 Drive). It is slower than an internal HDD or Thunderbolt SSD, but it works just the same. Now, Boot Camp Windows is a little tricky to get working on an external drive, but there are a few articles around that describe how to get it working...I have never done that, though.

Edit: If you want to run it on portable media, I would suggest a USB 3 drive (or Thunderbolt if you want). This way, it will be comparable to having it installed locally. I actually tried an SD card installation once and it was even slower than my FW800 drive.

7. man4714 macrumors newbie

yes im looking for using the usb 3.0 option only on MBA2012...
    im totally a new entrant in Appla/Mac world, so im looking for simple steps n procedure for windows running from external USB 3.0 HDD...

hope i'll get some help here..