Virtual Machine or CrossOver?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by heather00213, Apr 27, 2015.

1. heather00213 macrumors newbie

I just got accepted into nursing school and we are required to use Microsoft Visio 2010 or 2013. This is the only piece of software that is required that is windows only. Am I better off doing the Parallels or VMware route and running all of windows or just using CrossOver for this one application? I can get windows 7 through school for about $10 so it really wouldn't be that much of a difference price wise and I know CrossOver has some bugs, but would it be okay for running just Visio 2010?

2. philstone macrumors 6502

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You also have the option of Virtualbox. It is free and a pretty decent piece of software. Otherwise if I were going to run it, Parallels or VMware would definitely be my choice. Lot less problems and a user friendly interface. But Parallels or VMware will cost you that little bit extra. Worth it though.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go the virtualization route and avoid cross-over. As mentioned VirtualBox is a viable free alternative especially since you only need to run one app in windows.