Virtual Machine.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JamesP., Jul 11, 2012.

1. JamesP. macrumors regular

Hey,

I have lion os x on my 2011 MBP.

I would lke to create a virtual machine to install some software,

Cisco packet tracer to be precise and other such softwares.

Im wondering if anyone can recommend the best way to get a VM to run windows just for this software, any info would be great.

Also would it be possible run a VM through a USB or External HD.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I only recently started using a VM so I'm not very knowledgable in this area. I'm using Parallels to run Windows 7 and I love it! you can run Windows programs as if they were Mac apps via the coherence feature. I definitely recommend looking into Parallels and maybe some youtube videos to have an idea of how it works.

3. JamesP. thread starter macrumors regular

Another Irishman :D

K, i had look at that software, looks really good, might buy it if or when can afford it, Looks very handy.

4. area5x1 macrumors newbie

If you value stability over speed, VMWare Fusion 4 is a cheaper (and imo better for non-gaming tasks) alternative to Parallels.

In any case I'll support whichever virtualization software gets Retina support first.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Don't forget there is a free one also - VirtualBox from Oracle. Works fine with Win7, Ubuntu. Worth a look.

Parallels seems to be having a never ending sale. I've seen two promotions in the last month offering a discounted price for a download. Look at the periodic Mac software bundles that are advertised. You will get Parallels for 35 - 50 in place of the 80 list price.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I got it as part of a bundle.