Virtual Machines - Best Host Software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crjackson2134, Jun 16, 2013.

1. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

The title pretty much says it all. I want to run a couple of OS's in a VM (Linux & Win7/Win8).

Which VM is better Parallels, Fusion or Virtualbox?

Thanks for the advice...

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

VirtualBox is free, but Parallels and Fusion are more intuitive for beginners and have more features. Parallels and Fusion both have trial versions; download all three and see which you like best.

3. Fed macrumors 6502

I use VMWare Workstation on Windows and VirtualBox on Mac.

VMWare has some really good features but never tried it on the Mac (does it exist?).

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Fusion = VMWare Fusion ;)

5. Fed macrumors 6502

Ah! Same drag and drop functionality? TBH, anything but Hyper-V...

6. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Yep! Parallels also has drag/drop functionality, but I use and prefer VMWare Fusion over it.

7. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

VMWare vs Parallels. - What draws you to VMWare?

8. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Parallels lost me as a customer last year when they were charging full price to existing customers to upgrade to the latest version (I don't mind paying for the latest and greatest, but I feel they should have given a discount to those already using their product). This wouldn't have been such a big deal, but version 7 was buggy in Mountain Lion - so you were pretty much forced to upgrade Parallels, or downgrade OS X. Anyway, VMWare was offering a discount on their software to existing Parallels customers, and it was cheaper than what I would have paid to upgrade Parallels, so I made the switch.

TL;DR: mostly a grudge I have with Parallels.

They're essentially the same and have most of the same features - both great software. That's why I suggested to download the trial versions and play around to see which you like more.

9. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I was asking because often times I find that other users may have some unconsidered or specific knowledge about advantages or disadvantages. I just want the most responsive available with easy to use feature set

I already have VMWare but haven't installed it. I'll probably use tat unless you tell me Parallels is faster or has a fuller feature set.

----------

I never could get VirtualBox USB support working with Linux. Also had some other minor issues. Avoiding this one unless it's much better on OSX as opposed Linux.

10. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

What's so bad about virtualbox? It's free & cross platform

11. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I already stated above. Would prefer something else. I spent a lot of time getting no where with USB and seamless configuring. Had very limited success. It could have been me, my hardware, or VirtualBox, but I want to move on to a different product, hopefully with better results.

12. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I didn't notice any difference in speed/performance between Parallels and VMWare. And as far as I'm aware, they have the same major features:
    - Boot Camp virtualization
    - drag & drop files across host/VM and vice versa
    - "coherence" mode (Parallels) vs "unity" mode (VMWare)

Sorry that doesn't help narrow anything down, but I don't think you'd regret buying either as you wouldn't really be missing out on anything.

13. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Actually that helped a lot. I'll be installing VMWare tomorrow.

14. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Have always been a VMware Fusion user and very happy. Run it on all OS X machines and is very stable. Virtualize Windows 7 Enterprise in Boot Camp partition for production use on a Mac Pro 12-core.

They have two versions- if you need more advanced networking features, they have that available.

15. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

16. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Thanks to everyone for their input. I went with VMWare Fusion. I think it's the fullest featured version.

Got to say I love it. For me personally, it knocks the socks off of VirtualBox (which I used for years on Ubuntu).

I've got 3 VM's installed right now, and a couple more to install. Everything is running great.

Thanks again... :D

17. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Glad you're enjoying it. It's amazing how far virtualization software has come in the last few years.