Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
In the coming months, I'll be learning Azure Fundamentals. After all, all hardware, from a server standpoint is moving to the cloud. I'm thinking of having Hyper-V at home, to use as part of my learning experience.

Curious...

On my iMac
- I have Parallels installed
- I have Windows 2012 Server R2, running as a VM

Would I be able to run Hyper-V, on that 2012 R2, and then create VMs, in Hyper-V?

Failing that, any other ideas on how to accomplish this (without simply setting up physical hardware for a Windows 2012 Server R2?

Thanks

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yes you can easily do that - just assign it plenty of memory :)

Alternatively just do it on Azure ;)

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Thanks for the link and the comment about Azure. I was under the impression that learning Hyper-V, would help with more understanding of Azure.

In essence Azure is partly VMs in the cloud, no?

Azure is nothing more than VMs in their datacenter, with some additional features, such as NIC level encryption and isolation. I am not sure if you'll get any official response, but the rumor is MS is using Hyper-V or a derivative of it to run Azure.

However, learning Hyper-V is not really going to help. Azure provides you with a web portal that is only similar to Hyper-V Manager in a basic sense. You could just as easily learn VMware to get the understanding of virtual architecture. In fact, I'd recommend learning VMware, as it's more widely used.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
...thank you very much!

Azure is nothing more than VMs in their datacenter, with some additional features, such as NIC level encryption and isolation. I am not sure if you'll get any official response, but the rumor is MS is using Hyper-V or a derivative of it to run Azure.

However, learning Hyper-V is not really going to help. Azure provides you with a web portal that is only similar to Hyper-V Manager in a basic sense. You could just as easily learn VMware to get the understanding of virtual architecture. In fact, I'd recommend learning VMware, as it's more widely used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.