Virtual macs and/or remote restore app ... need help please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mathfantasia, Jul 25, 2009.

1. mathfantasia macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    So my end goal is to share a mac over the internet that restores itself after every user. Basically the end goal of this one mac is to buy a bunch of macs and start an online mac/windows library/timeshare (for iwork/office and maybe flash/dreamweaver).

These are the three solutions I've come up with so far. Both have parts I don't know anything about.

First, find a software that will remotely restore my mac mini. I want to give users almost complete control over the mac and this would give them total control.

Second, make a limited user and secure the mac. I don't really want to deal with security, but if I can't do the first idea I am willing to learn. I still don't know exactly how to restore the mac mini after every user, but I am guessing the admin can run a script to do that.

Finally, get vmware to make virtual Mac OS X servers. The problem with this idea is that OS X costs more than a discounted mac mini. There's no OS X server family pack. I wish they would let me virtualizer mac os X because that's what I actually want to do, but I guess that's not an option.

So any comments on what I should do?
  2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2007
    Here are some thoughts/outline (details will depend on your requirements and 'concept of operations' you have in mind):

You can create a standard user account and limit it (as long as 1 and 2 are not in conflict on the total control part). is one example (read comments too) of how to do it from a command line. You can also look at or similar things for remote management. Or have someone do a script the admin-user can execute when a std-user is "done" (depending on your requirements -- perhaps a reboot, with admin user running the script and then logging off to get it ready for the next one). There are also ways ot restore a user account from a DMG file -- for interactive method see (but you might want to look into automating it).

VMWare solution will be better/easier, but you know the limitations already (server vs client-desktop OS X license). An Enterprise quality VMserver (e.g. like ESX) would be the prefered solution, with price tradeoffs.