Virtual PC 7 in Sandbox on G5

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BertyBoy, Sep 7, 2010.

1. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Let's start by informing everyone that I have an Intel Mac with Parallels v3, runs XP (and 2000 and 98 !!) just fine, extremely fast too.

But on the G5 next to it, I need to do some Windows testing. I managed pretty well with getting Parallels Window environments into a sandbox, just internet connectivity, access to the optical drives and one shared drive is perfect, and I want to achieve the same level of a sandbox in Virtual PC v7.

Background is, I've used VPC v3 on G3, v5 on my G4. Both of these were a dream (OK slow on the G3) but VPC 7 is required to run on my dual G5. From the manual I see it installs all kinds of intergration tools into the heart of the Mac OS (ouch), requires a restart (I restart about once every 3 months due to the amount of stuff I keep running). I can live with this, if I can be sure that I can turn off all the integration tools I don't want. From the manual I can see all the Application and Client OS Environment settings, some look as though they turn off unwanted features, but I would like to know from someone who used it, just how configurable it is into getting it into the proverbial sandbox ?

It would have been simple enough to install it and see, but restarting during the next 2 weeks is a pain I can do without, if anyone has direct experience and can share it.

Just another cheeky question, manual states XP and 2000 are supported in VPC 7. Did anyone try installing 98, I presume it's fine but just not supported. Or is there something that prevents me even trying to install it ?

Any help gratefully received.

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

a couple years ago, was running VPC7 on a dual 1.8 G5 for the same reason on 10.4.? and will add what i can from memory on a couple points. i don't remember needing to restart at all, and my system was also up for 3-4 months at a time. i do remember some items being added to the system, but was more along the lines of the parallel 'tools' that added mouse focus, usb, optical access and the like. nothing that i remember being a problem, for me anyway.

sandbox settings were very similar to what parallels has from what i remember. define settings, boot windows, check configuration, that sort of thing. i do remember running into a few problems with specific network requirements that following the user manual or going with the auto/default settings did not resolve. fixed it by manually changing the vpc settings, then also configuring windows manually. nothing else comes to mind, everything worked for what i needed.

i did use xp/2000/98 and think i had a few unsupported items in 98 that i got around by using generic drivers. for my basic system needs, it functioned. if i can find my old images, i'll load it up on my ibook and see if it still works. best of luck.

3. BertyBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the confidence to push on with this.

Had an awful time trying to set up XP from the install of 7.0.0. But once I upgraded to v7.0.3 (required another restart, grrr) all was fine.
    Until I saw it and remembered how much I hated XP and 2000.