Virtual PC 7 Leopard Compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by w0ngbr4d, Oct 21, 2007.

1. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

Does anyone know if Virtual PC 7 runs in Leopard? I would imagine it would, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Brad

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

why would you run virtual pc when you can run parallels at greater speeds or vmware which i prefer and i heard microcrap will stop supporting it

3. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

He has a PowerPC Mac:rolleyes:

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Don't know but I would assume it does, there isn't exactly a big following of the program so it is unlikely someone will try it out first for you.

I am assuming you are using a PPC Mac as Virtual PC does not run on Intel machines.

5. w0ngbr4d thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'm still using a G5.

I really wasn't planning on upgrading to an Intel Mac yet. This machine is only 2 years old (yes, I know that makes it ancient in the computer world.)

Guess I'll find out on Friday.

Thanks everyone.

6. hogmog macrumors member

w0ngbr4d I presume you plan to upgrade asap after Leopard release? If you are would really appreciate you posting whether Virtual PC works OK. I too have an ancient machine (2 yr old powerbook) and still have to use Windows apps in my research. As there are some really good enhancements in Leopard would like to move to it asap but in the middle of a project at the moment and dare not screw my machine up or find that various apps don't work.

7. w0ngbr4d thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be testing it on my Powerbook (12", 1 GHz) first. I'll be sure to let you know.

8. steamtoy macrumors regular

I have been running 9a559 on my Powerbook G4 12" for weeks and installed Virtual PC 7 on it. Although windows seems to work OK, the software is still not totally compatible since the "1040 network kext problem" thing kept on dock and won't disappear.

Maybe PPC users should expect the VPC update 7.0.4

9. w0ngbr4d thread starter macrumors regular

That would be nice. Maybe they could squeeze the fix in with their Office 2008 stuff.

Glad to hear that networking is the only thing wrong. I don't need networking for my use.

Thanks for the info.

10. bobjim50 macrumors newbie

1040 network kext problem

Does this problem only occur if the computer is networked with some other computer or does sit on the dock when the virtual pc is opened and then can not be removed?

11. steamtoy macrumors regular

12. steamtoy macrumors regular

Network is fully functional. It's just an annoying dialogue keeping on desktop and dock

13. w0ngbr4d thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, everything seems to run OK, on the Powerbook and G5. I'm sure they'll fix that kext in an update.

Thanks everyone.

14. yescurvyswab macrumors member

issues booting from media

leopard has issues with cd and floppy media. Most cd's are unreadable, so I've been rebooting into tiger to run it

15. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Yes, Virtual PC 7 seems to work fine on Leopard. The networking kext thing doesn't appear to cause any problem; everything seemed to work for me.

16. furbies macrumors newbie

A fix for the CD drive error

I just plugged in a USB external PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 drive, and VPC 7.0.3 can access it ok :cool:

hth

furbies...

17. furbies macrumors newbie

Update:

Just installed the Boot Camp drivers in XP Pro SP2 (via the ext usb dvd drive) and now XP can see & access my internal superdrive.

So: VPC7.0.3 & XP Pro SP2 & Leopard & G5 Dual 2.3Ghz seems to work

(So far........)

furbies :eek: