Virtual PC 7.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghigby, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ghigby macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where to get a copy of Virtual PC? My wife needs IE 6 or later to access labs from the hospital on her powerbook g4. Since we can't put VMware or Parallels on it, this is about my only option left. I know that it doesn't work with leopard and DVD drivers but that wouldn't be needed. All I can find out there is the update for the original version. I see that it is discontinued. Anyone know where to get it or another way to view IE on a powerbook with leopard?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Might this...

http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/

Or else crossover office be an option? (Too bad this question didn't come up a week ago, when Crossover was available for free!)

3. ghigby thread starter macrumors newbie

That's for intel chips

ies4osx is for intel processor macs. This is a g4. I'm not sure what crossover is. I'll have to check that out. The only option I have come up with is virtual PC. Can't find a copy however.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Aww, crap, you're right, I totally forgot about that... Yeah, Crossover won't work either. Yeah, VPC seems to be the way to go... it's not going to be pretty, though.

Is there any possibility that the hospital allows for RDC? If she can leave her desk PC on in the office and allow remote connections to it (which also has the benefit that sensitive information is not cached on the PB, so often it is allowed), then the performance of that will be vastly superior.

I'm not offering to make an off-marketplace sale (don't do that!) but if nothing else works... a lot of us, myself, have older copies of VPC floating around (I have 5.0 with Win2k) that have become useless (it doesn't work with my G5 Mac, and I have a Windows PC in the house now also), that we probably wouldn't mind getting rid of.

5. ghigby thread starter macrumors newbie

Vpc 7.0

I'm trying to find VPC 7.0 and then there are upgrades from there.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

There are some copies of VPC 7 on Amazon but since it was discontinued by Microsoft a relatively short time after they bought the original company (I believe it was Connectix) the prices the sellers want are usually ridiculous when you look here (like the $499 one seller currently wants). I just checked them now though and there are a couple of surprisingly low prices on some used copies, and one new one at $179. With those prices I think I am going to have to find the three disks I have myself! ;)

I have seen them on occasion other places, but not often so wanted to provide the Amazon link since they usually have at least one seller with them.

With XP Home Edition: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002NT5HO/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

With XP Pro Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Vir..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1226512311&sr=8-1